Going back... at 46

Posted by: me2

Going back... at 46 - 08/31/2010 10:22 AM

Hello everyone. I am 46 years old and am making moves towards going back to college. I am uncertain as to what type of degree I want to pursue. I am interested in many different things, such as English and sociology, so it would seem that a liberal arts degree would be the best option for me. I have applied and been accepted to Armstong-Atlantic in Savannah for the Spring 2011 term, and I am making arrangements to attend.

I guess my main reason for posting here is to get some feedback on whether or not it would be a good idea, at this point in my life, to go back to school. I know that it is never too late, but the practical side of me is questioning whether or not someone who will be pushing fifty when they complete their degree, and then mid-fifties if I go on to graduate school, wouldn't be better served by looking for a job with more immediate and secure financial rewards.

I have made some pretty bad decisions in my life. I got into some legal trouble a few years ago and had to go to prison for a couple of years, and I am still on probation as a result. I have never really known what I wanted to do with my life, and as a result I have wandered around without any direction, worked mostly restaurant type jobs except for a two years stint as a technical support person. I feel that I am an intelligent person, and that I can do pretty much anything I set my mind to, but I also have a hard time maintaining focus, and my confidence level took a beating while I was locked up. I've been out four years now and I am still trying to get some direction for where to go from here recover my life.

I really want to go back to college and do something useful with my life. I have been told I am an excellent writer and communicator, and I'd like to make a difference in some way.

I guess I am just looking for a push, and some encouragement that I am heading in the right direction.