Missed a year of school--can I go back?

Posted by: RoseC

Missed a year of school--can I go back? - 09/22/2010 20:37 PM

Hello, I'm pleased I found this community. My name is Rose and this is my question.

I completed a year of college (as a commuter) and began my second year when a traumatic event occurred that left me very afraid to leave my home. As a result, I did not go to any classes. I abruptly pulled out of school and hid in my home. Now I have come to understand that this was foolish of me and that education is extremely important.

I want to go back to school so I can earn enough to take care of my grandmother, who has almost nothing to her name. But did I ruin my chances of completing my education because of what I did? Did I ruin my eligibility for financial aid? Can I go back to the same college, or do I need to enroll in a new one?

I don't know how to begin this process and I am both scared and depressed. I realize that I am young and stupid, so the answer might be right in front of me and I can't see it. I'm sorry to post my problem here, but I do not have parents I can consult on this matter, and my grandmother grew up in a time when most people did not go to college, so she is just as unsure as I am about this matter. But I am looking around this website for ideas and I think it's wonderful that site exists. I wish everyone luck in completing their education.


-edit- I think I might have put this in the wrong place. I'm not sure. I am so sorry. I just do not understand the internet.
Posted by: Admin

Re: Missed a year of school--can I go back? - 09/22/2010 22:08 PM

Rose, if you dropped out of your classes by simply not attending, you may have some incompletes or failing grades on your transcript which need to be cleared. You have to officially withdraw from a class or you are considered still enrolled. Negative information on your transcript may also impact your eligibility for financial aid.

The best thing to do is contact the Admissions office of your old school, tell them honestly what happened and inquire about clearing your record. This needs to be done even if you decide to continue your studies at another college. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on this Website for more information.