Hi everyone!

Posted by: where2look@

Hi everyone! - 04/04/2011 17:20 PM

Hi. I am 26 years old. I have 2 kids ages 3 and 5. Recently I started having a desire to go to college. I was hoping to get some thoughts and opinions from an outsider's perspective. If I am going to go back to school, the biggest factor for me is the pay. I want a good paying career. I know all too well the consequences of having no money in this economy. I also want a career that is in demand, no matter how bad the economy is, for job security. I have kids to take care of, ya know! So I do have a few in mind. My top choice would have to be a dentist for several reasons. First, a dentist is most likely always going to be needed. Second, it pays verry well. Third, there is no residency (unlike medical school). Fourth, I can open my own practice and be my own boss. I have to assess the cons here as well. Maybe some of you can prove otherwise. I have heard this profession has the highest suicide rate of any profession. (I've also "heard" this about psychiatrists, and a few others, so not sure how true this statements is). Another downer is the fact it takes 4 years to get a bachelor's degree and 4 more years of dental school, which I hear is highly competitive to get into considering there are roughly 56 dental school in the U.S. alone. I am a little squeamish (I tend to gag when grossed out, but that's it) but I definitely think I can get over that. I've come a long way since having kids, that's for sure hahaha. I can handle mouths, just not anything else (like being a nurse, I commend those folks who can do it). My head's in the game and I'm determined as ever to pursue a high paying better career! I just want to choose the right one, its a BIG decision! I just wanted to gain some support, advice, tips, opinions from this forum to help me along my path. Judging from what I've mentioned above, any other career suggestions? What about for less school (if that's even possible lol)? I am willing to go to school for that long, though.
Posted by: Eri

Re: Hi everyone! - 05/03/2011 11:14 AM

Going back to school IS a big decision that will require a lot of your time. Your children are still young and they also require a lot of your time. Your stress level will increase during the time that you are enrolled in school and your children will not understand that, and it's not their place to understand that. I strongly suggest you speak to a mentor/academic advisor before making the commitment of going back to school. You only have a general idea (and very small part) of what is involved in becoming a dentist. Explore further what is exactly involved in being a student. It can quickly be overwhelming for those that have no kids. It will be doubly overwhelming for those that do have kids.

Just be well informed and talk with students that are enrolled to become a dentist. Get realistic views of what is involved. Good luck.