How many of you are changing careers? more...

Posted by: Deanna

How many of you are changing careers? more... - 03/31/2004 05:11 AM

I'm a 35 yr old secretary and I absolutely hate it. Not only that, I'm a secretary with a BA in Art. Yup. Art. Which went no where so here I am.

I'm seriously considering going back to school to get special ed certification so I can teach. But it will take two years and the nearest college is an hour away AND private. GRR.

Anyone else going through a career change? Feel free to share your story. I'd love to hear it.

Deanna
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/02/2004 20:10 PM

You may find some online courses helpful. Surely some of the universities are offering these.

If it is any consolation I went back to school at 34. I worked full time and received my business degree at 45. I was a single parent part of the time. It was still worth it. If not for the extra income and knowledge, at least for me. I did not feel inferior to anybody else.

Mary

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/03/2004 08:51 AM

Go for it! I went back to school at 45 for pharmacy. I'm finishing my 3rd year of pre reqs (I could only attend part time, single parent) and I was just accepted to Pharmacy school. I will graduate in 4 years at the age of 52. It is a lot of hard work, I make sure to keep myself in top physical shape to keep up with the demands of working, parenting, school and studying. It is definitely worth it. Do it because in 5 years you will look back and kick yourself for not trying or be finishing up your degree.
Posted by: Jazi

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/03/2004 12:49 PM

I say go for it. I am now in a deadend job as a social worker. There is no moving up because I don't have a degree. I am 47 and will be returning to college in August 2004. It has always bothered me that I did not finish my degree in Elementary Education. I feel that it is now or never. I will need to go about a year and a half to finish up. I know it will be hard work but it will be worth it to me personally as well as financially. Never let your dreams die - go for it!

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/05/2004 09:37 AM

I agree with the postings so far. Today, April 4th I will be going back to school. Unfortunately, I don't know what my exact path is, but I do know I need new skills. I have done admin work in the past and it was a "cash cow" for me. Not something I loved but served it's purpose. Now with the economy being what it is, I am working retail. Now that is a bummer! Think of it this way, if you don't go to school in 4 years you will still be 40. Why not be 40 with a degree : ) :)
Posted by: Linda

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/12/2004 11:23 AM

I have been in the insurance industry for over 20 years. I am now enrolling in an LVN program, something I have wanted to do for over 20 years. My children are now grown, still have one in her last year of college. I am 54! If I can do a career change at my age, which isn't old!, anyone can do it.
Posted by: Carole

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/17/2004 08:34 AM

This is new to me...so forgive me if I do something "wrong!" I'm just a grandma from Wisconsin!!! anyway...my daughter has decided to return to school -- it's a long story, but I'm helping her. she's 35, a single parent, has a degree in business and has been a teacher's asst for the past 3 years. has decided to become a "real" teacher. same story as you, Deanna...closest place an hour away and private and it will take 2 years full time. No financial aid available because it's a 2nd degree???? Any words of wisdom here. Oh...the fastest way to accomplish this is to attend the school where she received her degree -- which is the private school an hour away. Help?! confused
Posted by: Admin

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/17/2004 09:18 AM

Hi Carole,

Some schools will provide financial aid if the second degree program is significantly different from the degree program previously completed. (See the <a href="http://www.back2college.com/library/finaidfaq2.htm">Financial Aid FAQ</a> for more information.)

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/19/2004 04:16 AM

Hi, Grandma from Wisconsin! I'm just a mom from Wisconsin, but have a bit of advice for your daughter. I went back at 39 and took 3.5 years for an associate degree, totally different from my LPN job, which was really worth it. I'm in a nontraditional field (refreshing) and am looking forward to a significant raise in the future with a great retirement from the hospital I've worked for (>20 yrs). Nontraditional fields can be great for scholarships, so maybe she can stretch herself and teach something "different". Pushing for excellent grades also helps with scholarship awards. Encourage her, be there for her when the going gets rough: her perseverence will pay off!
Posted by: AltoRose

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 04/19/2004 10:04 AM

I'm changing careers, too. I first attended college as a communication major. I dropped out after three years due to financial constraints, then got married and never went back. I'm now working in data quality assurance for a national entertainment magazine, and I can't stand it. I've made the decision to go back to school in the fall and start working towards an elementary education degree. It's scary - and I have to pretty much start over since the education major is so different from communication. So, you're not alone. :)

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 02/11/2005 06:36 AM

I'm 37 and need a career change. My wife and I were recently blessed with a baby boy nine months ago. I'm in the construction industry and hardly saw my son at all. This was the slap in my face I needed.
Last semester a signed up for one course, at a local college and got an A. With the confidence I have now, I plan leaving my job of 12 years and attending full time.
Good luck.
Posted by: Wallace

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 02/14/2005 13:54 PM

I too decided that I wanted to teach - after years in the business world.

I found a Masters Degree in Teaching designed for people that already have a bachelor's degree (not in teaching) and want to change careers to teach. teachforachange.org

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 02/14/2005 15:14 PM

Dear Grandma Esther,

Do not despair. Your daughter may not qualify for some financial aid programs; however, most states and the federal government have loan forgiveness programs for persons in the teaching profession (check out the guidelines in your state). I have a degree in accounting, 44 years young, and enrolled in a masters program in social studies education. Your daughter will be fine, just continue to be supportive.
Posted by: Teacher to Pharmacy

Re: How many of you are changing careers? more... - 10/13/2005 16:41 PM

Hi everyone! I'm a Special Education Teacher of 3 years and am seriously considering a career change at the age of 27. Like many young people forced off to college at an immature age of 17, I couldn't decide on a major. I changed it a few times. I was accepted into Northeastern's Pharmacy program ten years ago in Boston, and I now have realized that not attending was the biggest mistake of my life!!! In any case, I'm a little scared of leaving teaching, but I know I need to. Any advice??? I have no idea how I'm going to survive financially, but I need to do this. It's now or never. Anyone a pharmacist on here??? Feel free to email me. Thanks. :-)