Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1035 - 05/04/2006 12:21 PM Do I have a chance at going back?
brian128 Offline

Loc: Dupage Co., IL
Background:
Private H.S., failed at least 1-2 classes every year, , councelors didn't help me, they just wrote me off, failed out last semester senior year, wasnt alowed to graduate or walk with class, got GED 5 years later, took 21 classes off and on at local community college right after H.S for 8 years and only passes 4, asked not to come back, transfered under pressure from ex-GF to 4 year private university, took 8 classes in 2 years and passed 3 (2 A's, 1 C), told that I had to pass last class (I failed it)or take a year off and take the class at a local community college (which I was asked not to return to). Havnt been in school in 2 years. Have a job that pays $34k, but I am at the top of imcome in my field. I have $10k in student loans being payed on time for almost 2 years.

I would like to go back to school and get a degree. I have wanted to, and tried, but as you can see I failed many times. I never was a bright student. I barely passed any classes in grade school, H.S., or college. I asked for help from teachers and concelors but they just looked the other way and never helped me. I know most of the time I went to college I was not ready to go and should not have gone. I also know that I should not have gone to the private U. and racked up $10k in debt without getting anywhere. I feel that I am now ready to go back, I really want to.

Do I have a chance at going back to college? Will the few classes I have taken be accepted or are they wasted time and money? Will a college accept me or would I just be wasnting my time and the schools time by asking? Given my background, should I not bother, count my blessings, and just go on with life?

#1036 - 05/05/2006 05:51 AM Re: Do I have a chance at going back?
tt82 Offline

You should try again. You can not let your past dictate your future. If you passed the clsss and they are offering it at the new school you will get to keep the credit. You should take a course on developing study habits and test taking skills. Most schools offer those type of services for free.

#1037 - 05/08/2006 04:55 AM Re: Do I have a chance at going back?
brian128 Offline

Loc: Dupage Co., IL
Should I try back at the private university or another school. A couple of the classes I passed I took at the community college almost 7 years ago. Would they still give me credit for them somewhere else? Also, I would only be able to take one class at a time due to work commitments (that includes weekends) The private U laughed when I said that, they said I must take at least 2 classes or its not worth taking any at all because it will take years to graduate. Should I still try even though I can only take one class at a crack?

#1038 - 05/08/2006 18:43 PM Re: Do I have a chance at going back?
tt82 Offline

Yeah, they will give you the credit. I took classes in 1983-1989 and I received the credit for them. The science classes I can not apply towards my degree. I am a nursing major and they only accept the classes within 5 years of entering the program. The same would apply for computer science classes. If you go back to the first school, you will definitely get to keep the credit, however you also keep the GPA.
Donít pay any attention to the new school. You can take as many classes as you like; it is your money and your time. Donít feel discouraged. Our goal is to graduate, it doesnít matter what year we accomplish the goal, just that we complete what we have started. If you do take one class a semester, you will definitely have a better GPA!!!

#1039 - 05/09/2006 15:45 PM Re: Do I have a chance at going back?
Crysania Offline

Loc: NY
Friend,
I feel for you. How dare anyone (let alone someone in Education!) LAUGH at someone who is pacing themselves sensibly when they make a big life decision like going back to school. Ignore them; do what YOU want, since YOU are the one in control. Old credits often count...if mine hadn't I wouldn't be where I am right now. When I returned in 2000 after 20 years (!), I was able to maintain over 60 of my old credits...mismatched though they were. It helped that I returned to my original university.
By the way, my first semester back, I took ONE class! I suspect after you take your ONE class, you may dare to take two at a time...but YOU need to be ready for that decision. And don't forget to check if you can utilize CLEP exams to fulfill some requirements.
You can do it "as you like it" and on your terms. Time will pass either way, you might as well make it count. I wish you the best.

Moderator:  Admin 

© Copyright © 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.