Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1071 - 09/21/2001 12:02 PM 39 years old and want to go to college
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am 39 years old. Ten years ago i took the GED & did very well. Now I would like to go to college & earn a 4 or 5 year degree in computer science. I am very inteligent but I do not know what I need to do to get a college to accept me. I took a couple of computer classes at a community college a few years ago & got 4.0 GPA. What is my first step? Can anyone help me, I feel so old & out of the loop.......thanx!

#1072 - 09/21/2001 16:30 PM Re: 39 years old and want to go to college
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would talk to the community college counselor at the school of your last attendance. They are very helpful with academic planning and transfer information. Schools have different admissions requirements. If you are trying to transfer with just the GED and don't want credit for the courses you took, call colleges you are interested in to find out their admission policies. Good luck!

#1073 - 09/21/2001 17:39 PM Re: 39 years old and want to go to college
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, 39 is not too old. I am 46 and finishing a degree. Age, unless you're ill or have major physical problems, is best dealt with by DOING something. Our mind is a wonderful tool - don't lose it. Good luck. wink

#1074 - 09/22/2001 08:58 AM Re: 39 years old and want to go to college
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chloe, relax! I just went back 3 days before m 50th birthday! I just smile and know that I am only there for a semester and then it's on to the real world! Ha!

It is frustrating to you mostly because you know what you are there for and are at an age when you feel out of place...you could be 24 and feel out of place, trust me!

I try to embrace their enthusiasm and know that they are mostly lost and trying to figure out where they fit in the world. You
already know where you fit!

Hold on to the thought that you have made a wise decision to get your basics out of the way in a less costly fashion...and probably getting more out of class than you think.

Besides, I find that it is refreshing for the professors to have someone in there that is not talking on the cell phone or having to be told to cut off their pager! Ha!

Good luck! It won't last too much longer!

#1075 - 09/30/2001 14:45 PM Re: 39 years old and want to go to college
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all of you! I have been attending college off and on since I got out of high school. I started back full time about 3 years ago. I am now 41 and in the middle of my junior year. I love school. The kids have helped me learn new study habits and they talk calmly to me before a test because they know I have test anxiety. I am open and honest with them. I rarely pull an age rank on them, because I am learning just as much from them as they are from me.

To get started, call the school you are interested in. Believe me, most schools have counselors that can give you all the answers to your questions. And you will be surprised to find out how many of the counselors or instructors, didn't get their degrees until after 40. Basically in life an adult will change their career 5 to 7 times.

Enjoy it, go with the flow, try to remember that the younger ones are younger and they like to party....it's all a life experience...you've just gotten past that point. Most of my new friends, treat me just as that...a new friend. I've got kids of my own....so I don't treat these college kids like they are mine...they are young adults and want to be treated that way...even when they aren't not exactly acting that way. But believe me, accept them and they will accept you and help you in more ways you thought possible. Take care and good luck to all entering college for the first time or again! You can do it!

#1076 - 10/01/2001 11:07 AM Re: 39 years old and want to go to college
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi:

Do most adults take courses at colleges that have a larger non-traditional population?

It IS a bit uncomfortable to be the oldest person in the class, especially if you are the ONLY older person in the class :)

Annie wink

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.