Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1077 - 09/12/2002 15:56 PM Starting Over - Spring Admissions
FrankBeauregarde Offline

I attended university full time about 7 years ago (for 2 years) then dropped out for financial reasons. While working I took classes at a community college, then tried a distance-learning program at another university but I didn't care for the untraditional classes. Took a few more classes at another community college, and then took a 2 year break. I was able to rectify my financial woes, and am now in a position to go back to university full time.
My total GPA is 2.26, I have a couple of D's and F's spotting my transcripts. I have been on academic probation once but was never suspended. (This was because when I transferred my classes to the distance-learning program, my GPA didnít transfer, and when I had problems with one of the two classes I took there my GPA wasnít a proper reflection of my college career.)
Preparing for spring admissions, I have researched all the universities on various websites and noticed that all of them pretty much have the same requirements for transfer students including a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, ability to return to previous school. I know I meet the minimum admission requirements but am concerned with my transcripts, and my nomadic history with schools. My fear is that I will apply to several schools and get rejected from all of them. What is the best way to gauge a universityís selectivity, and my chances for admissions? Thanks for listening.

#1078 - 09/13/2002 15:29 PM Re: Starting Over - Spring Admissions
larrydavis Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi!!!

Just a couple of points. First, I think you could get into most universities, particularly if you test
well. With your life experience and past studies, you should test higher than, say, when you first
finished high school.

Second, you should be able to CLEP out of some classes and possibly get credit for experience.

Third, I would collect the bulletins of institutions of interest and read through their requirements. You should be able to get a pretty good "read" from these. Also, there may be a few that you wouldn't want to go to after reading their literature. Most are online; so, you can scope them out even before receiving their mailings.

Finally, if there is a school that interests you but may be a little hard to get into, you may still want to apply. They may accept you with some stipulation such as specific course requirements, or minimum grades, etc.

All the best

Larry D

#1079 - 09/13/2002 15:33 PM Re: Starting Over - Spring Admissions
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Note: This question has also been addressed in <a href="http://www.back2college.com/experts.htm">Ask the Experts.</a>

Moderator:  Admin 

© Copyright © 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.