Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1080 - 08/05/2006 18:07 PM 27, heading back with a few q'.....
gonzo27 Offline

So to quickly sum up what happened to me from 18 till now....

I enrolled at 2 year at 19 and got 1 year completed. Transfered to a 4 year up in Michign and proceeded to fail out by not going to class and crazy behavior. Returned after one semester back the 2 year and the same thing occured again. Finally found out that this was due to being bi-polar and finally have my life and self in order to conquer my dreams and get a few degrees :) So.....As for the questions:

1. At the 4 year college I was never able to pay off the first semester due to not getting loans and so forth. I checked my credit report after not being sent statements from the collection agency, and found that it had been removed....this being about seven years later. So...I am left with this question: Does this mean that my semester at this 4 year college doesnt exist due to the fact that I NEVER paid fot it? And if so, do I not have to put it on my previously attended college list?

2. If the semester DOES in fact exist then how long is it going to take to get the two bad semesters erased from my records (by taking classes and passing) so I can raise my GPA?

Thanks to all here, I have really gained much support and courage from reading everyone's stories.

#1081 - 08/06/2006 10:18 AM Re: 27, heading back with a few q'.....
socalmike Offline

Loc: Covina, CA
Well since you never paid for it, they will probably hold the units from you, or if you are planning to go back to that same school, not allow you to graduate untill you pay them. If you want credit for any of those classes,you would list that school. There is something called academic renewal/forgiveness that you might want to look into, it will erase the bad grades from your past if you show improvement and maturity when you go back. Check to see if the school offers that.

#1082 - 08/06/2006 20:32 PM Re: 27, heading back with a few q'.....
gonzo27 Offline

the additional fact here being that the 4 year is in Michigan and the 2 year in IL. Soooo with this in mind I also plan to transfer to a 2 year in NY. So does this alter the response already given?

thanks again

#1083 - 08/08/2006 19:02 PM Re: 27, heading back with a few q'.....
socalmike Offline

Loc: Covina, CA
Going out of state I have no idea what difference it would make. All I know is that when you go to a different school you fill out an application for admission and they ask if you have gone to other schools. If you have attended other colleges,they will want transcripts from that school or schools,if you want to transfer over credits you earned to the new school that has to be done. Or are you saying you are more worried about someone finding out about the debt from the prevoius colleges?

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.