Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1102 - 09/24/2006 03:25 AM College. Haven or Hide-out
Thurind Offline

Loc: California, Orange County
Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum. I am very happy to find an open forum with people that are going through some of the same mental paces that i am. To those who are currently or will be going back to pursue futher education congrats. I am currently somewhat without anchor in my life. I am 28, recently divorced, and have lost most of my ties holding me to my location and job. Last month an apartment fire destroyed nearly all my worldly belongings and I and my roommate narrowly escaped the conflagration unharmed. I previously attended college and lacked the motivation and focus to complete past my freshman year. I now find myself obsessed with the concept of picking back up where i left off and seeing what direction that road goes in. I am a veteran and am fortunate enough to have the gi bill as an available resource. My reasons for returning to college are really not economic. My current job field makes for a decent living. In a way I feel like i want to take a break from being a responsible adult working at a job and sit back and enjoy pursueing academics. However, I am concerned that this desire is simply me trying to find some long lost utopia, or trying to run away from my situation. The purpose of this post is not to seek pity or attention. I simply would appreciate someone elses veiwpoint on this situation. Sometimes it is very hard to see or acknowledge ones own motives and thoughts. Thank you all for your time and good luck to everyone.

#1103 - 09/25/2006 09:31 AM Re: College. Haven or Hide-out
MermaidMom Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Thurind,

Hi. Similar to yourself, I was/am in a job that pays well, but I wanted more.....

I started back to school part time two years ago, and will finish up my two year degree this year.

Now, even if you are maybe running away, or looking for a "break", is college really such a bad way to do that? As long as you aren't leaving a family in dire need of basic necessities, there is no reason you shouldn't pursue your education.

Education is something that can never be taken away from you. So who really cares what your motives are. If it's feasible in your situation then I say GO FOR IT! I've loved every minute of my college degree so far.

#1104 - 10/11/2006 08:44 AM Re: College. Haven or Hide-out
Suze Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi,
I'm a Mom too. Someone broke into our property lat year and stole 1/2 of our our stuff; mostly my parent's belongings. My & my husband's are all deceased, so it has been highly upsetting. I'm sorry to hear about the fire. My husband works construction & I had been working resturant for years and getting nowhere. The break-in annoyed me to the point to change my life with an education to get back on the mountain. I'm in a trailor in a valley now 45 minutes away from "home". I'll be taking internet & web design so I can run my own buis. from there. My main goal is to work at home & not have to waste my life being somebody's employee. So ya, I'm hiding too. Good luck to you!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.