Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1105 - 07/10/2006 16:12 PM 44 and needs encouagement
jallen7 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I am trying to find success stories of people who have returned to college in their mid forty's. My brother is going to start college this Fall he is 44. He went to college several years ago and and got a A.S degree in accounting he never worked in that field and he doesn't want to go into that field now. Most of what he took will not help him. He thinks all he can accomplish again is a two year degree but I have been trying to tell him to go for a BS but he says he will be 50 before he can finish. I would like to find some success stories to share with him. Thanks for any help!!!

#1106 - 07/10/2006 16:19 PM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi Jallen,

Check out the Features section:
http://www.back2college.com/feature.htm

Explore the site. Plenty of inspiration here!!! :)

Best regards,
Site Administration

#1107 - 07/11/2006 03:52 AM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
Mbooker Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Remind him he will be 50 anyway -
50 years old persuing BS in Astrophysics!!!
Marji

#1108 - 07/19/2006 21:27 PM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
BuffMagic Offline

Loc: Western New York
Jallen,

It's been said before but it's never too late. I just turned 51 in July and I'm starting from scratch in September. Maybe this time I wont let my hormones stop me.

Paul

#1109 - 07/21/2006 11:47 AM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
KarryJ Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
HI Jallen,
I went back to school at 36 and received an Assoc. as a Medical Lab Tech. I'm now enrolling in a BSN program at NAU. (I just turned 50). I'll be 53 when I graduate but in three years I'll be 53 anyway. Why not have something to show for it.
Alot of people say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" My answer to that is "it depends on how smart the old dog is."
Good Luck

#1110 - 07/26/2006 21:17 PM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
Cyndi61 Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi Jallen,
I am a 44 year old single mother returning to college after 25 years. My dream for the past 25 years has been to recieve my BFA in Fine Arts and now, I am doing just that. For so long I thought I was to old, the time had past and it was to late for me, but the trueth is that it is never to late. I hope to graduate in 3 1/2 years. It is hard, very hard and there are days that I want to quit. I have no money, no child support, but my children are very supportive. At times I want to quit and just return to a mindless ho-hum job, but I remind myself how restless and uninspiring that world was and that I don't belong in mainstream workforce. Just remember, anything worth having is worth sacrifice and learning is a lifelong experience that we are never to old to stop doing. I will be close to fifty when I graduate (with honors, it seems easier this time)but I could be fiftyworking in a field I love, or fifty and still working in a hopeless job force. Good luck.

#1111 - 08/03/2006 05:47 AM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
Kat01 Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
HI Jallen,
I am 51 and starting my senior year at a design school (going for my bachelors degree). I needed some inspiration and I found that I am not alone. I am continually challenged to be just as technically savy and creative as my fellow students who are mostly between the ages of 18 and 23.

I must admit friends and loved ones are very encouraging. And while I struggle with projects, I manage to keep my GPA up. I even get some respect from some instructors for just for "being there" mentally and physically, in class. On a lighter note, I get to wear the the same outfits similar to what I wore when I was 18 and fit in: low rider jeans, tie-dye shirts, etc.

I think you should all be encouraged to know that in the middle of this economy, of downsizing, lay offs, you're not just sitting around. You're changing and adapting to the times. Stay strong!

#1112 - 08/17/2006 18:07 PM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
Crysania Offline

Loc: NY
I've written my story before, but I'll put it here again with an update.
6 years ago today, I was 41 and sitting on my rear in the same dead-end job I'd been in for 10 years. I was a college drop-out with a batch of mismatched credits that were 20 years old. I finally investigated getting a "life-experience" degree...through an adult studies program. It took me 3 years while I continued to work at that job. After that I continued on and got my master's degree in Education, and just a couple of weeks ago, I was hired to teach 5th grade in a public school, and I am THRILLED. I could still be sitting on my butt somewhere, doing something meaningless, and I'd still be 47 right now. But because I acted, now I have a chance for my seemingly long-lost career after all. If I live I can still get at least 20 years out of it!
Do it!
C

#1113 - 08/18/2006 07:20 AM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
socalmike Offline

Loc: Covina, CA
Congrats Crysania, I love hearing stories like that. You are a perfect example. You will now have a job you will enjoy going to and are proud of. I know its cliche to say but its never to late, why not at least try.

#1114 - 08/26/2006 04:59 AM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
kae1996 Offline

Thanks Crysania for posting your story again! Occasionally, I will look for success stories such as yours for that little extra bit of motivation:-)

I'm 42 and just started back to school. I'll have 33 credits towards my Associates in BA after this semester. Thereafter, I'll plan accordingly to go for my Bachelors. With two children (10 and 3); husband, and live in mother; sometimes I feel that I'm taking away from them. I'm currently taking 3 classes (the most in one sem. since I started back) and it doesn't seem too bad. Of course, to me this is 'fun' so that could be why:-)

Bottomw line: Thanks for your post - continue to share your story; it does help!

#1115 - 09/03/2006 11:16 AM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
Marcelonyc Offline

Loc: New York
Jallen, ask your brother if he would rather be a 50-year old with a degree or without it. Why would I want 1 million dollar when I am 70? Just because it is a lot better being a 70-year old with a million dollar than being a 70-year old with a retirement plan in the amount of 1,300.00 a month.

good luck!

#1116 - 10/11/2006 08:54 AM Re: 44 and needs encouagement
Suze Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi,
I'll be 43 in Dec. My parents MADE me take computer science 20 years ago. I had wanted to hold out for word processing, and sure enough, 2 years later the college offered word processing. I'll be starting internet & web design in Nov. I want to run my own buis. from the luxury of my own home. Your brother has to take something that intrests him or else it won't work for him. I'm not real bright but I have a lot of common sense. I just hope that I don't get too much math. Math is my worst subject!

#1640 - 09/05/2009 04:08 AM Re: 44 and needs encouagement [Re: Cyndi61]
aunt jane Offline

I agree... with the positive aspects of just doing this...

'creating change'-- Find encouragement U can do this!

& I can do this...

At present I have a job that I could keep forever without a lot of change in my life. I work around others that are not as skilled as I am (in certain aspects) but because they have a college degree and I don't * I am just there to be delegated to... At 46 -- it's time... enough already!

This forum is a wonderful find 'tell your brother to take a peek at all the success stories here'.

Edited by aunt jane (09/05/2009 04:10 AM)

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.