Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1119 - 01/26/2006 02:44 AM want to go to college soo bad......
cutekitty999 Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Hello, i don't know what to do..i want to go to college soo bad for nursing, but the thing is i didn't finish high school.. i did get my GED, but my grades before that were below average, i am a single mother of 2 right now.. and i have the will and time to go to school, but i don't know if i can even get into one with my history, i never took my Sat's or any of that stuff...does anyone have any suggestions, or encouragement...i really need it...thanks

#1120 - 01/26/2006 16:21 PM Re: want to go to college soo bad......
tt82 Offline

You can go to college with a GED. You did graduate. Before you are accepted to nursing school, you will have to take the pre-requisites. You can take them at any school. Try applying at your local junior college. You can do it. Take the first step by applying to schools.

Fill out those applications!!! I am counting on you to make this happen!!!

#1121 - 01/28/2006 08:34 AM Re: want to go to college soo bad......
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
CuteKitty...

Here's what I have to say to your worries:

PIFFLE! and pfttt and pooey, too!

Community colleges will take GED graduates. SATs are not necessary.

Having a high school diploma makes no difference in ability in the classroom. As a matter of fact, many people who graduate from high school probably could not pass a GED test if their lives depended on it.

As a college teacher, I have had many students just like you. They were often the better students in the class, because they had found a goal and wanted to be there.

Now take the next steps. Get a college catalogue and find out what prerequisite you need to take in your first two years in order to be accepted into a nursing program. Pick up financial aid forms and fill them out. Get your CC application going now, and you can be in school again very soon.

And most importantly, never look back on your life to date with regret. Every part of it is part of who you are now, and who you are going to be. There is a pattern there, even if you can't see it now.

I am so happy for you, and your future better life. I am also happy for your children who will see how seriously Mom takes here education.

Please keep writing and let us know you are going for it.

Jan

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.