Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1165 - 05/10/2006 19:49 PM Advice welcome ..... PLEASE !!!
johnj Offline

I am a 35 year old married father of a 6 and 10 year old. I have recently relocated to another state in order to be closer to family and have done so without securing employment first. My wife has been a stay at home mom for 10 years now and we feel very strongly about her continuing to do that until our children become more self-sufficient in around 4 or 5 years. Needless to say, I have been the sole breadwinner for our family and have been happy to do so. At this point, I feel somewhat lost as to what I can accomplish at this age. I think I would enjoy entering a new profession either as a DDS or possibly entering the medical field as a PT or OT. Am I dreaming or does anyone think I could pull such a thing off while supporting my family? Is there such a thing as government programs that can offer living assistance for me and my family while I attended college full time? Am I too old to pursue this type of profession? Should I just continue doing the type of work that I have been doing for the past 15 years which has provided a decent lifestyle, but I despise going to every day? Any thoughts from people who have had similiar predicaments would be greatly appreciated.

#1166 - 05/10/2006 20:34 PM Re: Advice welcome ..... PLEASE !!!
Torria Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Hi there,

I am a forty one year old mother of three, ages 21, 16 and yes a mere 4 year old. I have wrestled in my mind for the past couple of years about attending college and then finally I decided since I was not happy in my current profession as an in-home daycare provider that offers little or no retirement, to take a chance and pursue a career as a dental hygienist. I started back to college in January, and took a course load of 12 credit hours, totally online, with the exception of proctored test and 3 speech presentations. I have recently changed my major to pre-dental and am researching the OU college of dentistry which seems to offer a fantastic program. I said all this to say that if you are unhappy in what you are doing currently then yes you should go back to college to fulfill your dreams. I read the other day that people who dislike or hate their jobs are more susceptable to heart disease and other devastating illnesses. My advice to you would be if you are a self-motivator to start off with online courses (if offered by your institution) and then slowly integrate back into the classroom. I must tell you that the virtual classroom to me is a blast, well organized and most classes are self-paced. I hope that I have helped you with your decision making process and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Torria

#1167 - 05/11/2006 04:46 AM Re: Advice welcome ..... PLEASE !!!
Mbooker Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
There is plenty of financial assistance out there. If you are currently unemployed there are programs that are subsidized by the gov as well as loans(gov). Do not be afraid to invest in your self.

Find a school you are interested in and make an appointment to talk to the advisors and the financial advisors. That is what they are there for.

Remember this is how schools make money(new students).

Good Luck
Marji

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.