Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1177 - 03/06/2005 18:35 PM 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
apple Offline

Does anyone have any advice for a 30 yr college grad w/ a JD who wants to change her career b/c she's miserable as a JD and instead go into pharmacy? is it too late? and has anyone else done it? and how is financial aid/scholarships?

#1178 - 03/08/2005 07:05 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
MermaidMom Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
What is a JD? A Doctorate of Justice (aka lawyer?)

It's absolutely NOT too late. You'd just need to find out the requirements for pharmacy school and take any courses you haven't already taken.

My guess is that financial aid wouldn't be something you could count on considering you already hold an advanced degree.

#1179 - 03/14/2005 04:51 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
WildEEP Offline

It never too late. This trip around is gonna be more expensive with the lack of financial aid from Uncle Sam, but it is still very doable.

I'm confused about your degree title a well...so I'll wait for you to answer Moms question, before I start recommending any scholarships and the like as many have clauses on what level of degree you already have.

#1180 - 03/14/2005 10:26 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
apple Offline

just to clarify: JD stands for Juris Doctorate..I am an attorney

what types of financial aid are out there for people like me?
and does anyone personally know of someone who is starting pharmacy school after another career?

#1181 - 03/14/2005 13:04 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
WildEEP Offline

A Doctorate of Law looking to become a Pharmacist. Thats a new one on me...Forgive me if I chuckle at that, its just that if you feel the need to be poor forever, might I suggest getting married and having children? LOL =)

Okay all jokes aside, You probably know more about attending school than most of this board combined. You're just looking for a LOT more scholarships, and something tells me that being a lawyer - you've learned to write a pretty good paper.

You've got a doctorate, you could apply to Teach at a college, switch over and teach for a few years while taking either Free or heavily discounted classes at a state run school. Its a route, maybe not one you want, but its a way.

Since all your generals are completed, I'm sure at least SOME of that will transfer over, and you'll wind up with 2 or 3 years of various classes relating specifically to that medical side of the knowledge tree.

My goodness, I'm jealous. That degree you have already will open so many academic doors that its staggering.

#1182 - 05/04/2005 12:05 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
allimc Offline

Loc: oklahoma
I am a 30 year old pharmacy student, medical technologist, and single mother. I have a degree in Medical Laboratoy Technology and have worked in lab for 5 years now. I decided to go back to school because usually the salary in lab caps out at $50-60,000 (for everyone except the pathologist) whereas as a pharmacist starting pay averages $75,000+ with many experienced pharmacists making > $120,000 annually and some independent pharmacists making much more than that. If you want to get into pharmacy go for it. I hope you love math and science, those are probably the only two areas in which you will have to go back and complete undergraduate work. ( I am only guessing that you weren't required to take Gen Chem II, Org Chem I & II, Biochemistry, Physics, or Calculus for your law degree). After you finish the pre-requisites, you get the joy of attending grad school for another 4 years (some schools have accelerated programs to get you out in 3). When you get out you will have a PharmD. You probably wont be eligible for federal or state financial aid since you have a doctoral degree but with any luck you can find some scholarships. Try fastweb.com they provide a free scholarship finding service. Also the pharmacy colleges themselves usually have several merit based scholarships available. For more info about getting into pharmacy school you might check out Student Doctor Network - student forums - pre-pharmacy. Good Luck.

#1183 - 05/16/2005 06:10 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
WildEEP Offline

I should probably point out that I didnt mean anything about the income levels of a lawyer versus the pharmacy thing, just that the costs of schooling for both are greater than that of your average degree in the humanities or engineering fields...I guess you could say that while others have a mansion, you have a mansion...of knowledge.

#1184 - 06/04/2005 19:03 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
jenjen Offline

Does anyone have any suggestions for going back to get a PharmD while trying to raise kids at the same time? I am particularily interested in allimc's experience, as I, too, am a Med Tech and trying to get into a PharmD program. Also, should you mention you have kids during the application/interview process, or will this be held against you (ie, will they think you won't be able to complete the PharmD program because of your family committments)

#1185 - 06/07/2005 06:10 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
jennip Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hello All,
I too am a Med Tech trying to get back into the groove of school so I can get into Pharm School. I'm 43. I don't think it's ever too late to learn, besides we all (hopefully) have learned somethings while doing these other jobs that we can apply to Pharmacy.
I don't know about the kids angle, but I believe in being upfront with everything. You obviously know that you can handle school and the kids, so I say go for it. And I've also learned over the years to say YES when someone offers help. So as the song says, we all get by with a little help from our friends....
Okay, any advice on the PCAT? Just started back to school, taking pre-cal and chem (had it all previously so am relearning and refreshing). Plan on taking it on June 25th, then in Jan (will be hiking out of the Grand Canyon on Oct 22.) Thanks and good luck to all.

#1186 - 06/07/2005 10:28 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
nkosi397 Offline

Loc: california
Just curious...What did youhate about the legal profession? I'm thinking about going to law school............

#1187 - 06/11/2005 14:21 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
GrannyRx Offline

Loc: Florida
Hello everyone.
I am a 30 year old Certified Pharmacy Technician that is about to start summer classes at a local community college to begin my path to becoming a Pharmacist. I am excited and scared at the same time. I have worked as a CPhT for 10 years and now I plan to "bite the bullet" and go to school. Congrats to all of you for pushing yourselves on. I think we are doing the right thing.

#1188 - 06/13/2005 14:37 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
jenjen Offline

Just wanted to pass along a great site I happened upon. It is www.studentdoctor.net. People post their experience with interviews for various medical and pharmacy schools, including the actual questions they were asked during the in-person interviews and their overall experience and rating of the schools after they interviewed and got a chance to talk with current pharm/med students...very helpful and interesting!

#1189 - 07/06/2005 07:07 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, you people seem to be unhappy with your career choices, and that is not all that uncommon. I would hope that most of you are glad that you didn't graduate with a masters in computer science, or information/technology in 1999 when the dot com bubble popped. Needless to say, I just turned 29 yesterday and have all but six college credits to my name. I dropped out of high school during my senior year and recently took the ged (without preparation) and passed it. I never took advanced math or science in high school (but i've decided to enter one of the hardest fields out there). Pharmacology.

The primary reasononing behind my selection of this particular career is the pay that it offers. That coupled with the fact that the projected job outlook is expected to be strong for the next thirty or so years is a recipe for success, as well as job stability. I have spent the last five years of my life as an over the road truck driver. I have no superior skills, and i'm not sure if i will be able to make it all the way up to calculus 1; but I have dedication.

Age is just a number. The only thing that I regret is that by the time I do complete this degree, I will have lost out on ten years of practice. Ie, pay, time to pay back student loans, and more time with which to pay off a mortgage on a home, and the loss of cheaper housing; as the price of real easate will be no doubtedly higher in six years from now.

But i've done my homework. You don't need to get a bachelor's degree in science or chemistry in order to meet the minimum requirements (or prerequisite classes necessary) to get accepted into a pharmacy school. Some schools are more selective than others; but a degree is a degree.

I'm planning on getting ninety units of study in before I apply to a pharmacology school. This is manily because i'm starting out in college alegbra and I will have to work my way up to calc 1 (and math classes can't be rushed; you can't take calculus and trig in the same semester, and you definitely can't take a chemsitry class without the basic understanding of algebra). So, i'm stuck in a catch 20 situation here; unable to do more than take my general education requirements and then work my way into the math and science classes as my ability permits me to do so.

I would say "go for it though." But remember the actual pharmacy shool is a full time gig. In some schools you will be required to spend six hours on campus and four hours doing an internship at a local hospital or pharmacy store. If you can't commit your full day to study, then this career might not be the right one for you to get into.

In any event, good luck to all of you guys. I hope you succeed in any endeavor that you choose to embark upon in your academic and professional lives. I also hold a great amount of respect and admiration for those of you who have degrees. It insipres me to make the most out of my academic experience and to persevere in every aspect of my professional life.

#1190 - 07/14/2005 19:30 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
schweeter Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Not too late at all. I am 37 and just starting out. Just curious. Why do you hate being a lawyer? I hated being a legal secretary and I am going out for my B.S. In Psychology with a minor in Business.

#1191 - 07/19/2005 12:04 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
Brambis Offline

I am considering going back for a PharmD degree myself. I am about to turn 39 years old in another month. I have a BS degree in Accounting and a Masters degree in Health Administration. In my course of studies I believe I have accumulated all the required course work for pharmacy school. I have even taken a PCAT exam but that was about 8 years ago. Hopefully hasn't change alot since I got around a 95 percentile rank on it. I even applied to Med School at one point but did not play the game well enough to get accepted even though I had interviewers say that they thought the coursework would not be a problem for me. I currently work for a managed care company but feel like I would prefer to be working more on the patient care/technical side of the health care industry. Like some of those who have posted here previously, I don't think you are ever to old as long as it is want you want to do and are commited to seeing it through. The only hard thing to do is to give up ones salary and hope that it won't take to long to break even in the future. But it is worth something to be working in a field and job that you enjoy fully and find interesting.

#1192 - 09/12/2005 07:57 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
Rini Offline

Loc: cornfields in mideast
Pharmacy is about relating to people. I got into pharmacy because I wanted to find out about medicine and help out my folks. I knew that blood and guts were messy and I'd heard that the pay scale in pharmacy was enough to rely on if sole breadwinner. Truth of the matter, by the time I got out (it's taken me 30 years all told to obtain the BS and PharmD) I realized that my folks get along very well without consulting their pharmacist offspring.

I came from a family that believed in avoiding medicine if at all possible and letting nature heal its own by going for the healthy life. (Although, it is interesting to learn that some of the ideas that we as common sense thought were 'healthy' 30-40 years ago, really didn't make sense.) There's something to 'believing' in onesself and attempting to gain consistency and the rhythm of life.

Nevertheless, one of the best courses I took in the PharmD curriculum was Drug Information: Statistics and Understanding the Literature. A lot of people rely on me to provide the most up-to-date information. If you want to always be working to keep abreast of the latest in health, pharmacy is a good field to jump into.

If you're interested in the business aspect, discovering drugs, or even compounding prescriptions, you end up going into other specialized niches, but pharmacy is the place to start. Personally, with my background the next place I could see myself happily headed would be a clinical setting or teaching a science-related topic in high school or college.

So, the emphasis is on communication; use of the latest technological computer equipment, native language understanding, psychology, sociology, human health, with good solid science footing. Law school is actually a pretty smart career background, if one can pick up the sciences. I'ver heard time and time again that pharmacy is one of the most heavily regulated professions--one tends to get a 'nerd' rep for dotting "i's and crossing t's".

I didn't have scholarships. I had a penniless but entirely supportive husband, a small child, persistence and scruples. You cannot try to get by with doing a bum job anywhere; it's all part of the integrity thing.

Because it took so long to get through school with class after class, I did't get job-training or have a well-paying side career. I worked as a dishwasher, bused tables, as a nurse aid and as a lab tech and whatever else I could get experience without previous experience, until I was in pharmacy school and could work as an intern. Sometimes, the professors were a little lenient if they knew your kid was sick during finals week, and if they weren't, that's life. Once you get in pharmacy school and do your best to do well, it's a real high to study well to get 'A's' while the kids fresh from the nest struggle with too much party-life.

Go for it, if you're mind is not simply in the direction of going for a well-paying job. Somewhere pharmacists are paid outrageous sums, but I've been in hospital for 16+ years and am still at 50-75 grand if I do a lot of overtime.

Pharmacy is a career--a profession, and pharmacists are well-respected for the knowledge that they share with the rest of the folks without all those years of specialized school training!

#1193 - 10/04/2005 08:59 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
Ali Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi I am new here. I just turned 30 and have been confused about whether I should go into Law or Pharmacy. I have an M.A in Political Science and for a long time thought about going to law school. I just assumed that law would be the natural path for me. However, recently I have looked into pharmacy and think its a great career. Unfortunately I havent taken any science courses since high school.

I have been trying to talk to people who are in Law and Pharmacy to see what their views are so I can make a more informed decision. So far most people are suggesting that I go into pharmacy, even though that means I will have to spend 2 years doing pre-pharmacy courses.

There are a few people here who have mentioned that they hate being lawyers. Can you please share some of your experiences. I have spoken to many pharmacists, I have a cousin who is a pharmacist, my wife works in a pharmacy and another cousin who is doing pre-pharm after doing his bachelors in computer science and giving up a six figure salary to become a pharmacist.

I would appreciate some advice, including from those in pharmacy. Sometimes I get the feeling that b/c I have family who are pharmacists, they only tell me the good side of things and not the bad b/c pharmacy works for them.

#1194 - 10/07/2005 12:22 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
mrodz Offline

Loc: East TN
Never, ever too late to decide to change careers. I was sort of forced into it, but I'm a 48 year old married woman with a daughter that's 23 and I'm a full-time pre-pharmacy student. I hope to start pharmacy school next fall (2006), so I may be the only student in my class wearing an estrogen patch, but who cares!

I was downsized from my job almost 8 years ago. My husband and I had just gotten married, best money I'd ever made in my life, I loved my job. My husband was in school at local university and offered to quit school and get a job when I was downsized. I let him know that was NOT as option because he needed to finish college so I could finally go. So, I started a business at home doing everything...sewing, cleaning, publishing newsletter and taken advertisements. But this was lonely work, so I got a part-time job in a local pharmacy working as a tech and that's one of the ways I decided to go to pharmacy school. My husband graduated with a professional BA degree in Interior Design and works for a great architecture firm. I quit my pharmacy tech job the day he started his job and I enrolled in school full-time.

I had to take some developmental math courses to begin with, but I also jumped right into chemistry and I've been going full-time ever since. It has not been easy, but for the most part it's better than any job I've ever had. I have loans to pay for tuition, books, and some extras like gas, application fees for pharmacy school, etc. I think an education is worth going in debt for, so I'll pay for it later.

I have made honor roll every semester and maintain a 3.96 GPA. I don't take any more than 12 hours per semester -- for science-based degrees expect a couple of labs each semester that don't count as actual credit, but are required to pass the class. I do take at least 2 classes each summer during short sessions -- sometimes more. I've tutored chemistry and biology which has really helped me to learn the subjecs better. I'm really good at getting students together for study groups to help us all learn the material.

I've been a certified pharmacy tech for several years now and keep up my certification. For anyone with a degree already, like the JD, I'd suggest that you work as a pharmacy tech somewhere before you make a big decision about going back to school -- it's a big investment in time and money. Work in a retail pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, etc., anything to try it out. Work some part-time hours to see if it's something you would enjoy.

Going to college full-time has always been my dream. I just didn't dream I'd be this old and going, but hey I'll have to work until I drop anyway, so I might as well do something I enjoy and that pays really good.

My biggest problem right now is the let-down I feel after a big test. Had one today in BioChemistry and I'm really bummed out. I think I did okay, but I always dread test score time.

Marie

#1195 - 10/17/2005 07:25 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
nicholemd Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Hi,

I am a 29 year old biology major at a private school, hoping to attend med school, which means I will enter med school at 31, come out at 35. I want to be a dermatologist, for I enjoy the consultation part of the practice, and plus it is one of the few residencies that only require you to work an average of 40 to 50 hours, unlike tohe usual 80 for other fields. Do the math, yes I will be getting paid $40,000 year in the derm program, but I will be 39 when I get out, and really start working, so you can be a 30 year old pharm student!

#1196 - 10/22/2005 09:28 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
lvfodor Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm a 36-yr old single mother of two currently employed in the IT industry. I'm considering a career change into pharmacy and am well-versed in the process of requesting scholarships, loans and grants. I would, however, like to know if anyone had advice on how to someone would support themselves and their families while attending school if they're not working full-time.

#1197 - 11/15/2005 07:05 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
billydet Offline

Loc: MI
Hi Im 23 and in the IT Field, I have a degree in Computer Science. I checked and I just need to take 6 science classes to be considered for Pharm School. I am working fulltime right now. I just hope to get into school and am a bit discouraged since it is competitive acceptance. My GPA for my computer wasn't great, but for the non science and math requirements I have done better. Does anyone have any advise for me? Any would be great.

#1198 - 11/30/2005 07:34 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
2sachse Offline

Loc: DFW Texas
I'm a 34 year old pharmacy student and mother of 4 children under 12. I'm enrolled in Creighton University's PharmD web track. I take all my classes online (recordings of the campus lectures audio or video with power point, discussion board and interactive chat) and take tests at a local certified testing center. I go to Creighton for a few weeks in the summer to the campus in Omaha to do labs.

There are three attorneys, a veternarian, tons of pharmacy techs, chemical engineers, programmers, biochemists and all else in my class. Average age this year is 29, a huge % have degrees already, average PCAT score for the web track was 88.

Entry to the webtrack is very competitive (as it's the only one in the country). So you need good grades in all the prerequisites. I'd been away from school for 13+ years so I retook Organic Chem 1 & 2 plus the other things I was missing in the year before I applied.

You can not work full time and be sucessful in this program. People try but I can't see how you could do it and stay sane. It's too much work, but it is much more flexible than any traditional PharmD program so it's an excellent fit for someone like me with a lot of family committments. I also didn't have to move our family (DFW doesn't have a pharm program) so I could go to school.

I wasn't even aware of Creighton's program until just before I applied. So I wanted to put that out there for anyone considering pharmacy school.

#1199 - 11/30/2005 07:59 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
2sachse Offline

Loc: DFW Texas
Just as background... I had so-so chemical engineering grades from the early 90's. I took biology 1&2, organic 1&2, psychology, statistics, and speech in the 12 months before applying to pharmacy school with excellent grades in the 'new' classes. I also did very well on the PCAT. All while taking care of my family and four children.

I think the PCAT score and the excellent recent grades and admission interview outweighed my so-so grades on prerequisites that I took 14 years ago and my less than stellar overall GPA. I proved I was a good student now (even with my addtional responsibilities) even though I wasn't a stellar student the first time around.

Some pharmacy schools require all prerequisites to be taken in the last five years, others are more lenient depending on the class and the grade. Creighton 'preferred' prerequisites taken in the last 5 years and 'preferred' them to be taken full-time and said the 'academic rigor of the institution' would be considered.

Creighton also did one-on-one admission interviews. Basically they were assessing critical thinking skills and communication (ie. how would handle an irate patient/customer? what if you made a mistake, would you report it to your supervisor? Tell an experience where you thought you were judged unfairly and what you did to rectify the situation.)

#1200 - 12/30/2005 14:36 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
Ah, money, the tie that binds.

Everybody in this thread seems to have a clear understanding of the challenges ahead, and STILL be welcoming the opportunity to meet them.

I just stumbled upon this board yesterday and am surprised to see that this thread looks like it has already created a Pharmacy student-support group. Although pharmacy is not my field, I hope that you will continue to share the experiences from your journey in this forum.

About getting Merit Aid: find out what the merit award level cutoff score is at your Univerity for a "full boat" merit scholarship. There will also be at least one merit scholarship awarded at your school level. 98 and 99th percentile scores should automatically get you consideration.
When I studied for the GRE, I just focused on being assured I could pass it, and was happy that I did. Later I realized I should have set the bar at the Merit Scholarship level, and tried harder. Just a few more points and I would have been in.

If you have taken the PCAT and think you could do better with more study, it might be financially worth it to take it over.

#1201 - 01/25/2006 21:33 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
newyorkcitynyc Offline

Loc: Manhattan, New york
Hello im 23 and want to start a career in pharmacy but i am not sure yet. so far im going to go to a cuny school in new york to get a bachelors in either biology or something related im that.
i was just wondering if i should hold off applying until i got my bachelors or if i should apply after i finish my prepharm coursework.
i feel a little weird going back to college wheneveryone else is 17.
when i was 17 i didnthink about college. i regret not going because by the time i get out of school ill be over 30 yike.

#1202 - 01/28/2006 08:46 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
Apple, I don't know much about Pharmacy schools, so I can't answer your question. Have you looked at the catalogs from the schools in your state, to see if they require a bachelor's degree for acceptance?

If you can enter directly with two years of coursework under your belt, that would certainly enable you to get your degree sooner.

As for your age, teachers love having older students in their classes. They are such good students. Many of those 17 year olds around you are going to drop out along the way, because unlike you, they don't yet know what they want to do with their lives. So don't feel wierd about your age, feel proud that you have all that adolescent turmoil behind you.

As you will see from reading this thread, there are lots of "old" pharmacy students going back for the same degree you are. Once you are actually in Pharmacy school, you will probably find that you are younger than many of your fellow students.

#1203 - 03/18/2006 19:43 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
mikeydee4 Offline

Loc: new york
Reply to Apple/JD wanting to become a pharmacist:

I am 28 years old and graduated with my Pharm D back in 2002. Your post caught my attention, b/c I'm actually thinking about going law school (to pursue biotech/pharma patent law)!

Here's my advice. You can defintely do it. If you had the brains/persistance/wherewithall to get through law school, you can definitely get through pharmacy school. I recommend doing it full time, as it requires intense science courses and study. The main difference is that I assume you'd be using an entirely different part of your brain compared to law school.... i.e. in pharmacy, either the answer is "A" or "B" on your exams - in law school, its much more subjective... you're graded on your ability to explain why "A" is/could be/possibly be "B".

Based on whatever "core" undergrad courses you've taken, you might be able to transfer credit, and thus shorten the time. Part-time is also an option.

It's definitely a secure degree to have, and extremely versatile at the same time. You could simply count pills at Walgreens, or consult, work in industry, hospital, teach etc. One thing to note is that you'll never make a killing of a salary - you'll definitely be very comfortable, but I find that many of my friends who didn't do half of the studying that I did in college ARE making a killing in sales, on wall street, or as attorneys.

So what do you hate about being a lawyer? Please feel free to email me with any other questions about pharmacy. Like you, I'd like to talk to as many people as possible about patent law before committing $100K/3 years of my life to law school.

Regards

#1204 - 05/18/2006 05:21 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
want2be Offline

Loc: NC
Hi:

Okay I am thinking about pursuing this degree. I am an older returning student at 41 yrs and I probably would not be able to start until 2007. So I would be about 46 yrs old graduating from pharmacy. I was in the pharmaceutical industry for 8 yrs than stayed home with kids for 5 yrs.

Would this be worth it at my age? I am looking for more flexible work schedule with good pay.
My concerns are the PCATs and do pharmacy schools want older students like me?

2sachse - if you are out there, can you please contact me? I am interested in your experiences with school and mom life.

Thanks everyone!

#1205 - 06/05/2006 15:11 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
PharmDstudent Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach
hey billydet

I am 23 years old and I will begin the first year of PharmD program starting this August at NOVA University(Florida). I was in a similar situation as you with so so grades, but I was able to ace my latest prereq courses (5 to be exact) so that some schools saw that as an indication that I am not that stupid, and luckily I was interviewed by NOVA and got accepted recently. When you're applying to Pharmcy schools, use PharmCas and they will list tons of information about all the participating schools with their previous yrs acceptance rate and avg GPA etc., so for me or you, I picked the schools with lower requirements which meant less competition. However, those schools are often private and have a higher tuition. Nonetheless, if you graduate and start working as a pharmacist, I am sure that the extra money won't hurt as much.

Now I have a question for you nice people out there...After I finish 4 years of PharmD, I want/plan to go to PharmLaw school, does anyone know the avg annual salary for that? or any good schools? thanks

#1206 - 06/06/2006 20:25 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
tk Offline

I was glad to learn of other people who are starting or considering starting a pharmacy career later in life. I am 40. I have a B.S. in Communications and worked as a paralegal for 6 years. I had kids, stayed at home for a little while and have been working part time as a certified pharmacy tech (retail) for the past 5 years. I stand beside these pharmacists all day and I know exactly how to do the job. So, I am seriously considering beginning pre pharmacy classes this fall. I have about 8 classes to take BEFORE pharmacy school. I hope my tech experience will be viewed in a favorable light. On a lighter note, I'll actually be able to help my kids with their math homework! Thanks for listening.

tk

#1207 - 10/23/2006 12:23 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student????
PharmD USN Offline

Loc: ny
Hi I am also a medical technologist looking to go into pharmacy school with 2 kids. I have been a med tech for over 7yrs. Can you all Med techs in this forum give me some heads up on what to do to increase my chances? I am presently retaking som pre-reqs since my science courses are over 10yrs old and I work for a drug development research institute fulltime. Any advice will be appreciated.

#1437 - 01/05/2009 20:59 PM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student???? [Re: 2sachse]
pharmfox Offline

Hi,
Happy Holidays! Thanks

Edited by pharmfox (01/05/2009 22:27 PM)

#2151 - 07/14/2011 03:45 AM Re: 30 yr old Pharmacy student???? [Re: apple]
Bessie Garrett Offline

Age may not be the main factor when there is wish to learn and educate more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.