Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1208 - 09/11/2006 00:01 AM Economics
paulmayoflondon Offline

I'm in the process of receiving my BA in Economics. However, I feel that I am too old to join the field. I'm currently 25 and was planning on getting my masters as well. Should I not be concerned about my age?

I was looking at investment banking.

#1209 - 09/13/2006 23:56 PM Re: Economics
socalmike Offline

Loc: Covina, CA
Wow,if you are too old then I am also out of luck. I am 26 and still finishing my BA. What makes you think that you are too old to join the field? Did someone tell you that? Most of my friends didnt finish their degrees till they were 24-27 and they all have jobs in the field they studied. I was talking with someone with your same concern awhile back. She was worried about being 26 and going back to school,that the younger 18-22 year old students were way ahead of her. I dont see a problem.

#1210 - 10/18/2006 11:31 AM Re: Economics
J Offline

Loc: Toronto
I received my BA in Economics at 27. I don't believe age is a major factor in the investment banking field, but rather relevant eduaction and related experience. I'm from Toronto, the financial hub of Canada, so the job market is slightly different here. I did consider moving to NYC and talked to a few friends there in the field, but realistically whose to sponsor my visa with only a BA and a couple of Canadian securities certificates (equivalent to Series 6 & 7 in the States) under the belt.

There are endless job opportunities in the investment banking field if you choose your path wisely. Taking the job of a Research Anaylyst as an example, many companies will hire a herd of Associates fresh out of school and groom you, whereas a job like that here is one in a million.

Before considering doing masters, my advice would be to have at least couple years of work experience, and at the same time rack up all he essential financial certifications. By then, you should have a clearer career path in mind and better chance at getting into business school.

Btw, if you manage to squeeze in some free time, take the CFA level 1 before you graduate. The chance of you getting a desired job will increase by heaps.

Good luck

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.