Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1213 - 05/29/2003 11:44 AM Radical Career Change At Age 33
Route 66 Offline

Hello everyone! It's very encouraging and inspiring for me to read your posts and to know that I will not be alone as a non-traditional student, and I hope that my story will provide similar encouragement to those who are contemplating a return to college!

A little background on me. As a teenager, I was very much into music-I played trombone and electric bass. I decided to pursue a music-related career in recording engineering, and in 1992 I earned a B.S. degree in Sound Recording Technology with a B.A. in Applied Music. I graduated cum laude with a GPA of 3.3. That same year I started out as an unpaid intern in a NYC recording studio, and over the ensuing years worked my way up to the position of senior recording engineer. However, about five years back, I started to have a change of heart, and after much soul-searching began to realize that this really wasn't my calling. I knew that I wanted to change careers, but until now I did not know what I really wanted to do. I explored computer science and electrical engineering, but could not get myself very interested. Now, I have decided that I want to go into the field of finance-a far cry from recording engineering and music, I know! I am most interested in the area of financial planning/asset management, as I enjoy helping others and making a difference. I don't think I've ever been as interested in or passionate about a career as I am about finance! I am very excited about this journey on which I am to embark. I do not, however, regret my original career choice. At the time, when I was 18 years old, it was what I wanted to do, and hopefully, I will be able to transfer the liberal arts credits to my new school.

My wife (we have no kids yet) has been 110% supportive and absolutely wonderful, but selling my parents on the idea was a bit tough. They come from a time where you stayed in the same career, and probably the same job, for your entire life. I will proceed with my plan to change careers with or without their support, but
I think I've convinced them that I'm doing the right thing. There have been a number of very negative developments in the recording industry of late, and those have further convinced me, and, yes, even my parents, that it's time to get out, at last.

The next step is to actually get myself back into school. I have narrowed it down to two, and I am finally ready to make the move! I'm really nervous, but at the same time, really excited!

Thanks for reading!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

-Theodore Roosevelt

#1214 - 07/10/2003 07:16 AM Re: Radical Career Change At Age 33
zrawe16 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Congrats on finding something you really interested in and are embarking on. I'm really interested in hearing about the old job you had. Work in the studio with anybody? What kind of music were you recording mostly? Good Luck. Zach

#1215 - 07/13/2003 00:08 AM Re: Radical Career Change At Age 33
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm also looking into the financial planning field. If you'd like to correspond, my e-mail address is jessicar@ixpres.com.

#1216 - 03/31/2004 05:07 AM Re: Radical Career Change At Age 33
Deanna Offline

Well I'm just a tad bit late replying to this post but I will anyway since it's so inspiring! I'm a 35 yr old secretary (YUCK!!!!) with a 5 yr old son who has severe developmental delays. I've gotten really involved with his school and have FINALLY found out what I want to be when I grow up: a special ed kindergarten teacher. Too bad I'm 35 with a family and verly little money. I do have a BA but still need two more years of school to get my teaching certificate. Not only that, but I'll have to do a major commute to get to a college that has the program I need to get certified in Illinois. Very discouraging.

Don't know if you're around anymore, but just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration and go you! By the way, if you ARE still around, please give us an update. :D

Deanna

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.