Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1235 - 12/12/2002 13:17 PM I hate Admissions!!!
FrankBeauregarde Offline

I left university a couple of years ago, I wasn't suspended or anything so I figured I would go back to the same school to finish my degree.
I met with an admissions counselor who told me that everything was in order, all I had to do is meet my advisor and register for spring classes. After asking several times, I was reassured that there was nothing else to do.
So I was off to meet my advisor, he told me to come back in a couple months when the schedule of classes was released. A couple of months later I returned and got my schedule in order and was off to register. I was then told at the registrar that I needed to reapply before I could register. I went back to admissions that told me that I did indeed need to reapply. A big problem now that the deadline has past. I tried to explain my misinformation from my previous visit, but just keep getting handed another application.
What should I do? I think I'm going to try to write a stern letter to the director of admissions but I think I'm screwed.
mad

#1236 - 12/12/2002 13:41 PM Re: I hate Admissions!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately, I have had things like this happen to me as well. Usually in my understandable anger after the incident (I almost always was left holding the bag as there was often no accountability for these types of errors), I received a strong lesson. Never assume the information you are given is correct! Not only have I lost precious time due to these errors, but money and opportunities as well.

I feel for you. I don't know if you want to write such a letter to admissions; but informing them that this misinformation was given to you several times by employees of the university might be helpful to prevent the same thing happening to anyone else. You also might (gently) insist on talking to someone who is in a position of helping you if you can't get past the gatekeepers who only know to hand out applications or provide the same answers.

Hang in there! :)

Rene

#1237 - 12/12/2002 19:38 PM Re: I hate Admissions!!!
FrankBeauregarde Offline

Its just so frustrating, for me planning to go back to school was extremely difficult and I purposely met with a counselor early in the year to avoid such problems. I spent a whole day on campus meeting with the different departments and explicitly explaining my situation with each of them.
I guess I strongly worded letter isnít get me anywhere yet. I think Iíll try to work some magic tomorrow. If that fails then I donít know. confused

#1238 - 12/18/2002 14:20 PM Re: I hate Admissions!!!
FrankBeauregarde Offline

Ok, hereís the latest. I went to admissions today to confront the councilors one last time. But when I went they were all gone, I donít know early vacation or maybe a meeting. But I talked to someone I think a student intern or possibly a temp, and she changed my inactive status in the computer, I didnít have to fill out an application or any forms for that matter. So thatís it, I went and registered and itís all over. I guess it proves that the bottom is just as effective as the top of the ladder.
I was accepted somewhere else too, so before I was worried about not getting in anywhere and now I have my choice.
Well thanks everyone for you help.
:rolleyes:

#1239 - 12/18/2002 16:08 PM Re: I hate Admissions!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the update, Frank! It's good to know everything worked out. A little persistence can work wonders. :)

Moderator:  Admin 

© Copyright © 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.