Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1244 - 04/08/2006 07:13 AM Major problems
Renee Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hello:
I graduated with my associates and then went on to the University...
I was in the education program at Eastern Michigan but the job outlook wasn't great. So I changed my major to Public Relations. I'm a junior.
I'm trying to find internships but it's difficult.
I have friends that graduated with this degree and haven't found a job yet.

The job outlook said that it is supposed to be one of the fastest growing occupations, yet there are no jobs for students?

Is it Michigan or is it me?

Anyway, I was thinking that I should go to graduate school and get my masters in english... since writing is my passion.

I actually want to try to get my PhD but my sister didn't recommend it because of the extreme politics that are involved.

So I don't know what to do. It's too late to change my major... unless I want to change it to english or something... but if I do that, I definitely can't get a job.

I could take more classes like marketing or something, to make me more employable....?

what do you suggest?

#1245 - 04/14/2006 06:09 AM Re: Major problems
Sam Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I see no one has answered your questions, so I'll give it a shot.

The people that are the most successful at finding a job applicable to their academic backgrounds are the ones who go where the jobs are. I for instance, majored in international affairs. IA is basically useless in almost every city in the country EXCEPT Washington, DC, which is why I live here. Public relations isn't quite as niche a field as IA, but you're definitely going to have to live in an urban area.

There's a pretty decent market for PR majors in DC because public outreach, advocacy, and other such fields are very common here. My sister-in-law for instance is in PR and has worked for several non-profit organizations.

Getting an internship is not an easy thing to do. Apply to them, but, if you don't get one, you're not hopeless by any means. I was never able to land one and I've done quite well since graduating.

You suggested, and I would agree, that cross education into areas such as marketing will make you more marketable. If possible, why not double major in another related field?

Getting a Master's degree certainly won't hurt your prospects. PR people need to have excellent writing skills and an MA in English would help you there.

I hope some of this helps.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.