Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1255 - 01/16/2006 14:18 PM Occupational Therapy Question
catshire99 Offline

Loc: Illinois
I have a Bachelorís in management, but am currently working toward an Associateís to become a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant. After that Iím thinking a Masterís in Occupational Therapy. The problem is, I live 60 miles North East of St. Louis MO with the closest schools to offer that Masterís being Nashville TN and Lacrosse WI. Does anyone know of a school that has an OT program closer to my home? I understand to becoming an OTR is now a Masterís level program.

Any insight into my chosen path would be appreciated.

Cat

#1256 - 01/16/2006 20:55 PM Re: Occupational Therapy Question
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
Cat, I checked the Occupational Therapy association website for post secondary degree programs. I saw one listed at Washington U. in St. Louis, and a weekend program in Tennessee.

Maybe one of those will fit for you?

#1257 - 01/18/2006 07:35 AM Re: Occupational Therapy Question
catshire99 Offline

Thanks so much, Midlifer. You were absolutely right about Wash U's Occupational Therapy program. I checked it out last night. It's a two-year Master's program to the tune of $20,515 a year. Iíve applied and am waiting to get in to the Occupational Therapy Assistant program at the local community college, which would give me another associates. I can complete the OTA program in 18 months with the cost being less than $5000. I would however have the time invested and the loss of wages for both. I havenít taken the GRE or submitted an application to Wash U. I know the salary range for a COTA (Ceritfied Occupational Therapy Asst.) is around $35,000 annually in my area, but am not sure what an OTR (Registered Occupational Therapist) makes. Iím also one of those people with that ďgrass is always greenerĒ complex as one of the other posters stated. Any further suggestions? And I so appreciated having this forum to toss around ideas. My friends and family kinda think Iím a life-time student and maybe I am, but is that a bad thing!?!

#1258 - 01/18/2006 09:20 AM Re: Occupational Therapy Question

Cat, I found 75 OT jobs posted on Medrise. A VERY quick overview of them showed salary ranges from $40,000/year to $50-60/hour.

Tuition at Washington U, like all privates, is very expensive, but they may have some scholarship money available. Make an appointment to talk to their department head. Ask about financial aid, assistanthips, or other programs.

Find out if having an associates degree would be beneficial, or would allow you to work part time in a University clinic. If so, perhaps you could arrange to complete the program over a longer period of time.

Yes, as of 2007, a Masters degree will be considered the entry level degree in the field. If it is like the Social Work field, in some states you MAY also have to have a certain number of hours under supervision for certification.

Get some GRE practice books, and study them, then take some of the sample tests. If you see that you are able to score highly, you may want to take the test for real and apply to grad school, knowing that you have improved your chances for receiving a scholarship.

If you are flexible in your next degree direction, you might also look into Master's programs in Health Care Administration, Public Health, or Geriatric Health Care. Perhaps you can find a public university nearby that offers such a degree.

From my point of view, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being a lifelong student. So many subjects, so little time! 8>)

Keep us posted!
Jan

#1259 - 01/20/2006 06:57 AM Re: Occupational Therapy Question
catshire99 Offline

Well, Jan, I checked out the program requirements at Wash U. Looks like the only thing I'm going to have trouble with in the area of pre-req requirements is an abnormal psych class. Completing the coursework isnít the problem; finding a class is. I checked with my local community college and they have nothing for this semester or the summer semester...any suggestions? I'm praying they accept the statistics class I took a few years back.

My head is swimming. The application is due by January 31 in order to be accepted for the fall of 2006 and the application itself looks like War and Peace. Then I have to take the GRE too. I'm a little nervous and a lot overwhelmed.

Maybe I should just wait another year, but I'm 46 and not getting any younger.

Cathy

#1260 - 01/20/2006 16:57 PM Re: Occupational Therapy Question
catshire99 Offline

I started my application and asked some people for letters of recommendation.

#1261 - 01/20/2006 17:05 PM Re: Occupational Therapy Question

Sounds like you are going to skip the OTA program and go for the Master's degree! Good for you! Particularly if you can get a conditional admission, without the prereq and pick it up in your first semester courses.

Are you basing the application date on the university undergrad information? Individual schools within the Univesity that offer graduate programs may also have a late admissions round, as not all programs fill up, and already accepted students sometimes decide not to enter the program.

You probably don't have to take the GRE before you submit your application, as long as the scores get in before the admissions evaluation, so delay as long as you can, study hard, and take the test at a center where it is offered online.

You will get your score immediately. If WU offers merit scholarships and your score is close, but not quite at the top of the range, don't submit it. Go home and study and retake it. Fighting for a few more GRE points can pay off significantly, financially speaking.

Look at what you have already done, and know that you can do this too!

Jan

#1262 - 01/21/2006 15:25 PM Re: Occupational Therapy Question
catshire99 Offline

What would I do without you, Jan?

#1263 - 01/22/2006 09:13 AM Re: Occupational Therapy Question

:D
You'd be doing just fine!
Glad you've started the spplication process!

Moderator:  Admin 

© Copyright © 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.