Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1273 - 08/04/2006 20:23 PM Do all bachelors degrees take the same amount of time?
Cspudley Offline

Loc: Florida
Hello everyone, I just found this forum and think it is great that there is help for us who know nothing about going back to school.

I have three boys and am done having any more. I am also a stay at home mom until my youngest (2 mo.) is in school. I would like to start taking a few classes online to earn my bachelors degree. My intentions are to get my teaching degree.

I don't know if it is the same everywhere but in Florida if you have a bachelors degree in any subject you can take a 45 hour course to become certified teacher.

My questions are, do all bachelor degrees take the same amount of hours/units? If not, does anyone know which ones are faster to obtain?

Thank you for any help you can give.
Carrie

Cory ~ 12
Eli ~ 3 1/2
Ashton ~ 2 mo.

#1274 - 08/06/2006 10:09 AM Re: Do all bachelors degrees take the same amount of time?
socalmike Offline

Loc: Covina, CA
To become a teacher in California you have to enroll in a credential program and decide what you will be teaching. Once in the program you can substitute, but you can not be a full time teacher untill you are done. They used to have something called emergency credential, which allowed you to be a fulltime teacher while in the program, I dont think they have it any longer. So yeah, Florida is a lot faster. As for the second part of your question, There are unit requirements for degrees, of course some degrees are much easier to obtain, you need a certain amount of units to graduate. A communications or criminal justice degree is going to be much easier to finish then a biology or engineering degree. If you are going to be a teacher, pick a major that you have somewhat of a interest in or school will seem that much longer.

#1275 - 08/23/2006 13:47 PM Re: Do all bachelors degrees take the same amount of time?
Simon Offline

Yeah, all bachelor degrees should take about the same amount of time, 120 credit hours or roughly 4 years of full-time schooling.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.