I was recently accepted to Umass-Boston, as a part of the CPCS, the college of community and public service, but I am skeptical about attending the institution.

It is non-traditional, where we do not receive grades, but three levels of complete, partially completed, or not complete at all. It is derived from "competencies" where they are similiar to GER (general education requirements). There is flexibility and versatility in fulfilling them, from implementing projects, class instruction, or even utilizing independent study, in order to satisfy the parameters of the competency.

The one thing that bothers me, is that the credits from this college, do not transfer to other institutions. Don't get me wrong, I know that transfering from one college, does not mean that all credits will automatically become part of the curriculum.

The problem is, that I do not want to be the same scenario, that I pay for an education, and have it be useless. This same thing happened back in Gibbs College. I graduated with a high GPA, 3.7, but was unable to find a job. I am essentially paying back loans, for a certificate and degree that I am not using.

My major has been changed from English to Legal Education, where I hope to graduate college and attend Law School, to become a lawyer or work as a law clerk, or even as a paralegal.

I have done research on the internet, and discovered that a "competency-based" education, is a combination of a liberal arts and professional education. During my orientation, the professor mentioned that Mayor Thomas Menino was a graduate of Umass-Boston, the same institution and the same program that I have been accepted into.

Before I make an appointment with my advisor, in order to see if this is a right fit for me, I want to know if you have any insight in this type of educational program. Thank you for your attention and consideration.