Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1297 - 06/01/2006 07:53 AM Going back - which school?
SEA47 Offline

I'm 25 and I am returning to college - I have previously attended two different schools and I'm having a hard time deciding to which one I want to return. (this is pretty long but I feel I need to provide some background)

When I graduated high school (great grades, excellent SAT scores), I got accepted to a big SEC school - also a big party school. I was raised to love this school and never really thought about going anywhere else - though I never felt pushed to go there, as a matter of fact my family wanted me to go to a small school, but I grew up basically bleeding the school colors if you know what I mean. I honestly loved the school, but there were also things I didn't or didn't think I liked: I grew up just outside a really big city and spent a lot of time there, this school was about 1 1/2 hours away in a small college town, and I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. It seemed all that anyone did was drink and party and I was not into that sort of thing! My roommate was someone I'd known forever but it turns out we didn't get along. Plus, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and couldn't pick a major. I'm an only child in a very close extended family and no one had any experience with us going to school - my mom didn't graduate high school, and my dad soared through college because his parents paid for and gave him everything he wanted (of course he regrets his major and job choices now). It's almost like I had no idea you could get involved with clubs and explore different interests, I just really had no idea of what I was doing. So, I packed up in the middle of my freshman year and moved back home and lost my scholarship. During my first years home, I got to do a little traveling and I began taking acting classes at a big theater company and discovered I really loved it and spent a long time trying to save up to move to another state and pursue that (and just get a fresh start), but something would always happen to prevent that whenever I actually had the money. During this time I was also going to college at a school in the nearby city or I was enrolled anyway...I spent more time skipping school and going out with friends or going shopping than actually attending and I managed to waste away a college fund my grandfather set up for me, but my mom's deal was that as long as I was living in her house, I had to be in school. I had a lot of fun, but wasted a lot of time and money. I finally quit about 2-3 years ago. Up until this point, I just felt completely lost in life.

Well, about a year ago, it hit me what I really wanted to do and what I should have done 6-7 years ago (ironically most everyone I know says they always thought I'd go into this field). I found that I had a real passion for journalism and it just fit! I felt like for the first time since high school, I could think straight because I knew exactly what I wanted to do or at least the direction I wanted to head in. I reapplied at both of the schools I had attended and was accepted to both despite horrible grades. I didn't go back right away because I decided I needed to take care of some things first, such as credit card debts and few other personal issues. I spent a year working my butt off and paying for everything, plus helping my parents out because my dad lost his job and they had been kind enough to let me live with them for most of that time and continued to reapply to both schools until I could afford to attend. I also got kind of depressed because I felt I'd wasted the past 6-7 years of my life. Well, I think I'm over all of that now and I successfully paid off all of my debt and I'm ready to start school with a clean slate. I'm actually registered at one of the schools for this summer (the other I could attend in fall), but I can't seem to decide if I'm going to the right one.

Since I left the original school I went to, I've felt guilty. Since I was old enough to even think about college, I knew that's where I'd go and I would be a proud alumni like so many other people in my life, and it's really upsetting now that I've gotten over all of my trouble, to know that as of now I won't be returning. (It doesn't help that my younger cousin just graduated high school and will be going there in the fall...everyone is so excited and proud of him) It honestly eats at me and I feel like it will forever. And some of things that bothered me before don't bother me so much now. It doesn't seem so far away now and I know I don't have live right there in town where all of the partying goes on, there are other places around with interesting things...I guess I know more now than I did then, but I also hope I don't have a glorified version of the place in my head (you know absence makes the heart grow fonder) - I haven't been back to that town in a few years. I also really want to (need to) move out of my parents' house at this point, and I know living out there will be sooooo much cheaper (meaning I can concentrate on school and not working 24/7) and this is a minor issue but I have a HUGE dog and if I'm living in the city I won't be able to take her, if I go back to the original school, she can come too. It'll probably take me about two years to finish school if I go full time and go during the summer which presents another problem for this school. Their journalism program is very competitive, (supposedly one of the best in the country) and my grades are horrible. It'll probably take me longer to graduate and my goal right now is to just get finished as quick as possible - I don't know how easy it is for a 30 year old to start out as a journalist in any field. Oh, and there's the issue of age. Even though I look younger than I am, being 25 in a sea of 18-22 year olds sort of scares me - my dad has even made the comment that I'll be too old to go there.

Well, as I said I'm registered at the other school that's downtown and I really like that it's downtown but the school is kind of only so-so in my mind. It's in the middle of a major US city and there is always so much going on - I love that, but I don't know that I want to live there. There will also be so many opportunities while I'm in school such as internships and jobs. Plus the student body as a whole is more mature and very diverse which I like. The journalism department is fairly small (it's a commuter school and there are a lot of adult students so it's mostly aimed at business, education, etc) and I'm already in the program so it's not something I'd have to work towards. I can just start taking the classes and graduate as soon as possible. It makes the most sense to go there, but I'm always going to feel like I let myself down. I know it all seems kind of petty, but I don't want to go through life regretting that I didn't go back. It sounds silly, but every time I even see a picture of the mascot from that school, I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I contacted advisors at both schools with my problems and of course they both pushed for their own school. The one at the original school told me I could work in a pre-journalism major until my grades are up (which I don't quite get) and the other one gave me an example of an alumni who made it pretty big.
Logically, it just make sense to go to the the school I'm going to be attending in a couple of weeks and just move on to my future - put college behind me, but I don't want to look back years from now and regret that. Personally, it makes sense to go to the original school and do it right this time, but I'm afaid I'm making a mistake and thinking I can "start over."

I know it's ultimately a personal decision, but I wonder has anyone had this experience or does anyone have any advice? Anything you can share is very appreciated! (and thanks for reading and letting me vent!)

#1298 - 06/02/2006 03:48 AM Re: Going back - which school?
Mbooker Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Research the journalism faculty, find out who actually cares whether the students make it -
Find out which faculty actually publish currently as well as teaching.

I would go interview the Journalism department in each school. You can find out a lot by talking to the department's staff.

I am 50 and trying to finish a BS in Astrophysics. It has been a long haul as I started when I was single with three kids and I have just been slowly plowing through.

When you start(whichever school) make it your project to finish your degree.

Marji

#1299 - 06/06/2006 16:27 PM Re: Going back - which school?
SEA47 Offline

thanks for your response. The day after I posted this message, I got an email from the original school I'd attended (ok, UGA). I'd emailed a head professor in the journalism department and told him my situation. He suggested staying at the other school (ok, Georgia State). His reasons were good and he was the first person to be frank and honest with me. Basically he said it sounded like I was ready for real life and over college life and he gave me an idea as to how I could get there (college aside) and he said he'd take classes at GSU because in the long run it didn't make a difference. It'll will probably always bother me that I didn't graduate from UGA, but at least I went and can say I did. Hopefully I'll be too happy (and busy) in the future with my life and career to worry about it!!

#1300 - 06/06/2006 16:30 PM Re: Going back - which school?
SEA47 Offline

I meant to add, good luck with your astrophysics degree!

#1301 - 07/01/2006 23:30 PM Re: Going back - which school?
socalmike Offline

Loc: Covina, CA
I know EXACTLY how you feel.I started at a local community college because the money and grades were not there for me to attend a four year university right off the bat. I was always depressed about going to the community college and that made me unmotivated and obtained me only average grades. I was pressured into a major and picked criminal justice, which I kinda regret now. I always pictured myself going to the school of my choice and since that did not happen it has made me a very unhappy person. Im turning 26 in two weeks and still have yet to finish what I need to obtain my degree, and wish I would have continued going, even though it was not the school of my choice. I still am not sure what I want to do as a career and the criminal justice degree will either get me a law enforcement job or maybe down the road I could become a teacher. The biggest mistake you can make is dwelling on the past, when it comes into your head just try and block it out, stop thinking about things that are impossible to change and think about how you can change the future for yourself. You are very lucky that you have the oppurtunity to go back, even to the school thats not your first choice. I know a guy that dropped out after a year because he was offered a job that payed well but he had to work fulltime. Hes now 40 something years old with kids and a stay at home mom as a wife, he has to keep working at this job, which he now hates,without the opportunity to probably ever go back to school.You are still super young. I think the only reason you care so much about going to certain schools is because you are worried of what people think of these schools, like they will be more impressed if you attend the first school again. That got me in a lot of trouble. Never let that be your decision maker in life, and go where you think you can excel. The whole point of life is being happy and doing what will continue that feeling for the rest of your life. Money, degrees and age will never gurantee that.

Good Luck

#1302 - 07/10/2006 03:12 AM Re: Going back - which school?
Mbooker Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
SEA47 -
I am going to GSU currently and I came from Florida Institute of Technology(FIT) as well as a short try at UGA. My problem at UGA was I had to drive 67 miles each way to go to school each day and I work full time. GSU is not bad in fact given what is a round it I can go on campus and feel like the rest of the world does not exist.

I believe that what you get from the school is what you request from it. It is the same in the professional work world. If you do not expect much you won't get much.
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to finish your degree (before you get my age).

Marji

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.