Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1303 - 04/28/2005 10:02 AM Schools?
deloris80 Offline

I'm 25 years old and I want to attend college at a private college, but not sure if I should. I'm so confused about the costs and how long it will take. I already have transfer credits at a community college. The college I want to attend is an all-women's college. Sometimes I even feel like giving up on even getting a four-year degree because of my age. What should I do, get my degree online, go to a private or public school?

#1304 - 04/28/2005 15:11 PM Re: Schools?
yoppy79 Offline

Deloris, 25 is still very YOUNG to get a degree!! Private colleges are allocated more money from the federal government to award to their students because private colleges cost so much. You already have a head start by having credits from a community college. Online degrees take a certain amount of maturity and self-motivation to do--they are NOT for everyone. Private and public schools both have their advantages... you can tell a lot by going to visit them. One of the biggest difference is class sizes. Some people like to be lost in the crowd of a large college, but many people like the personal attention of 15-students in a class at a private institution. I hope this helps!!

#1305 - 04/29/2005 07:03 AM Re: Schools?
deloris80 Offline

Well, I have taken mostly online classes, but I just want to experience the college scene. I was late in starting college because I could never figure out what I wanted to do. I love dance. I have taken ballet for a year now. I also am very shy and I was thinking that I may not like the whole large school scene. I suffere from social anxiety and major depression, which I now get treatment for. It's embarrassing to talk to some people about my problem because they don't understand, whereas to others I can talk about it all the time.

#1306 - 04/29/2005 13:02 PM Re: Schools?
yoppy79 Offline

Many small, private colleges have special services for students of your nature--ones that might not feel ready for college yet and might need a little extra guidance. Take a look around the area that you are in and VISIT the colleges. The only way you are going to get an idea of if you'll fit in is if you visit. A website can only do so much!!

#1307 - 05/03/2005 09:14 AM Re: Schools?
WildEEP Offline

Hi there =)

I'm 25 too, graduated at 16 so its almost a decade since I last stepped into a classroom as a student.

I got acceptance letters from both Private and Public institutions. Both are good in different aspects. Your best bet is just to find a place that offers majors in things you find interesting, and a place that feels comfortable for you.

As for the money, well, believe me when I say there are a multitude of ways to get you in on the money. School, while expensive, can be paid for in a variety of ways and your financial aid folks at whatever school you go to can help you out in ways you might not expect.

So first things first - Find a school you like, then work out how to pay for it.

#1308 - 05/07/2005 15:26 PM Re: Schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd suggest not worrying about being shy. When i say this, i mean try not to WORRY about it. We can't change what we are inside. We can change how we percieve it though. Who said being shy was bad? Someone once reminded me, that we need shy people in the world too! Not everyone can be outgoing and peppy all of the time. Try to learn to (even slowly if you need) accept who you are. IT'S OK! Then, maybe try a private college. It will help you to accept yourself as you are, getting by (even when it's hard- just get through it)just as you are. You can do this. You sound like a lovely person inside. Go easy on yourself, and be proud that you are getting help. Then, give yourself a chance to go to a school. It's worth the try.
Best wishes to you dear!
Suz

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.