Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1311 - 06/08/2006 21:09 PM Can I skip to a 4year?
socalmike Offline

Loc: Covina, CA
Hi,

Im 26 now and I started taking classes at a community college in 2000,took classes here and there, some semesters full time and some not. I have about 87 units(some were a waste)completed and out of those I have around 90% of my general education requirements,I am missing math,biology/lab and maybe one other. 90% of my major in criminal justice is also complete. Is it possible for me to skip going back to a community college and be able to go straight to a four year school and finish what I need there? I never took a math class,I kept putting it off, and dont want to go back to the local community college.

Thanks.

#1312 - 06/17/2006 06:45 AM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
tt82 Offline

Most definitely!!! Start applying now. You will have to fill the residency requirement for the 4 year school and they might not apply all of your credits to their degree program. Do it asap!!! Find the school who will take the most classes.

#1313 - 06/22/2006 12:58 PM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
socalmike Offline

I just talked with two state colleges in my area today and they both said no. According to them I have to go back to the community college and finish my math there before I can be accepted to attend a four year state college. confused

#1314 - 06/22/2006 18:29 PM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
tt82 Offline

Are you kidding me??? Are they saying that they do not offer the class or you can not take it at their school?? How many hours will they accept if you transfer?? Did they look at your transcipts??? Is your GPA an issue? What difference does one class make??

Please keep us updated. I want to see you in a 4 year school ASAP.

#1315 - 06/22/2006 20:16 PM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
socalmike Offline

According to the schools I talked with they have transfer acceptance requirements. You must have what they call the golden four requirements, which are a California state transferable Math,English,Critical thinking and Speech. Plus they want you to have all the other undergraduate general education finished, and it all adds up to 60 units that must be completed with grade C or better. The women I talked with said that they have not accepted a undergraduate transfer(what I am)since 2001.

#1316 - 06/23/2006 08:13 AM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
tt82 Offline

What program are you applying to???

#1317 - 06/23/2006 09:00 AM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
socalmike Offline

To get a bachelor's in Criminal Justice. I think it might actually be easier for me to be accepted by a private university but they cost a lot more per unit.

#1318 - 06/23/2006 11:33 AM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
tt82 Offline

I checked into the policy and CSU's do require math and english from a community college before you can transfer. It is not like that in other states or in private schools. I am sorry i could not help you more. You will have to take the math class, there is no way to get arounf it.

#1319 - 06/23/2006 12:18 PM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
socalmike Offline

Im going to look into some private universities and see if is possible for me to be accepted. Thanks for the replies.

#1320 - 06/23/2006 13:04 PM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
tt82 Offline

No problem. Everyone is here to help. keep us updated!!

#1321 - 07/01/2006 09:53 AM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
socalmike Offline

Does anyone have some recommendations on private universities in the Southern California area? My major will be criminal justice.

#1322 - 07/04/2006 00:13 AM Re: Can I skip to a 4year?
jwpx2 Offline

Try Chapman University. They have a Criminal Justice undergraduate program as well as a graduate program. They even offer some of the Criminal Justice classes online through the Chapman University College in Irvine. (which focuses on returning adults).

One important thing to remember is that the classes in question will be a lot cheaper at the community college. There are quite a few students in one of my classes that are actually at 4 year colleges, but still take whatever they can at the community level just because of the difference in cost.

I'm not planning on transferring anytime soon, but I have the info. packet from Chapman and it seems like a really good program. Chapman also has a great reputation. But, it is expensive!!

Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.