Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1350 - 06/05/2006 11:05 AM Remedial English
tlmiller36 Offline

Loc: Seattle
Hello,

New here. 43 and deciding I want my degree. I've always felt beneath the rest of the world for not having a degree and I have decided it's time. I am I am going to start this Fall, community college, online AA and then move to a 4 year for BA. And now that I have that figured out I have to deal with the scary part.

The reason I never went to college is that I never thought I was smart enough. I now know this is ridiculous and the problem was actually that my school sucked, not me. I know that if I take the placement tests for math and english that I will have to take multiple remedial classes that will take up time and dollars I don't want to spend. I would prefer to study on my own until I feel I can get in to the 100 level classes. I have found math.com to very helpfull for math, but I cannot find an equivelant for english. The only reason I know what a noun is, is from watching Sesame Street, and a pronoun, forget it. Pathetic I know but I need to go back a ways. Most of the english courses I find on the web are diredtied towards ESL and that is not what I need.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#1351 - 06/06/2006 15:01 PM Re: Remedial English
Crysania Offline

Loc: NY
I give you so much credit (even though remedial classes don't!) and am very thrilled to read your post because I am actually soon interviewing for a position to TEACH remedial English to undergrads, and I am going to remember what you wrote when I look at my class (that's IF I get the job!) YOU will do GREAT!! Don't wait too long, take remedial if you need it, and don't look back. You will PASS the others by. Slow but steady works REALLY well. I mean it!!!
Crysania

#1352 - 06/06/2006 20:03 PM Re: Remedial English
shi Offline

You're commended for going back to school! My mother, who is 54 just received her AA and she is absolutely thrilled. She quit high school years ago and thought she'd never get a degree. Your situation sounds very similar. As for the English, believe it or not, she CLEPped out of English Composition and her school (NSU) awarded 6 credits for it. I wouldn't say she's an expert at the written word, but she tried and got 1 point over the recommeded score for credit. Have you considered trying to pass the CLEP to avoid the classes altogether? You may know more than you think. Just a thought.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.