Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1358 - 09/19/2006 18:48 PM Hi! I am a newbie here!
Carolyn Offline

Loc: DeKalb, IL
Greetings,
My name is Carolyn. I started back to school a few weeks ago and it has been a lot to adjust to.
I have 5 kids. My oldest just started college herself. She is 18. My youngest is 12 and in 6th grade.
I got my first paper back today with a big fat D frown on it! I went and talked to the professor right away to figure out how to get on the right track.
I am trying not to freak out.
Just looking for people in the same boat to share ideas with and make new Non-traditional student friends.
:D Talk to you all soon!
Carolyn

#1359 - 09/20/2006 17:41 PM Re: Hi! I am a newbie here!
r_ferg Offline

Loc: Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi Carolyn.

5 kids sounds like a handful. I dont have any kids, but i am kept pretty busy with work as the mortgage bill doesnt stop just because i decided to go back to school.

Fortunately, most of my classes have a lot of work time during class, so i do not have a whole lot to do outside of class (one class meets once a week for three hours, and we do all our work in class). But in my math class, i try to stay one assignment ahead. so tomorrow, we have an assignment due, that i had done last week. By the weekend, i will be done with next weeks assignment and so on.

There is this girl in my class who has twins, and from the what she tells me before class, the father (who she lives with) doesnt take any responsibility for the children. she will ask me if i am done with an assignment, i would say, yeah i was done last week, but she always says that she cant work on it because of the kids.

At any rate, I think i have an advantage over kids that are just out of high school. i know when i first tried college, i skipped class, and didnt really study, but now that i have been in the real world, i know the value of not getting behind. There is so many kids that skip class on test day, dont turn in assignments, dont take notes in class (which is dumb, because in one class, we can use our notes - so i write everything down). I was the same way when i was that age, so i am not going to judge, but to see that from my vantage point in life right now, i just find it amusing to think that these people think they are going to succeed.

Well, i better get back to work..... good luck to you, hope you bounce back from that D.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.