Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1363 - 09/26/2001 15:34 PM How to Spot an Adult Student
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Have some fun with this!

To start off:

The adult student is the only one sitting in the front row or seat in the college classroom.

The adult student doesn't carry a backpack until they figure out their purse or briefcase won't work, then they can't find one that doesn't look silly on them. cool

#1364 - 10/30/2001 21:13 PM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about:

The adult student always asks for the syllabus, extra credit, and extra reading material on the first session of class.

The adult student does not eat on campus unless its from a vending machine.

The adult student has to cope with professors being his own age or maybe even a little younger.

The adult student on campus sometimes wishes he wasn't so adult.

:D

#1365 - 11/02/2001 17:05 PM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student
Anonymous
Unregistered

They also may have reading glasses to see the blackboard up front and/or the "tiny text" in their textbook, laptop, palm pilots, etc wink

#1366 - 11/24/2001 14:01 PM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, I'm one of those older learners. I just started, 3 weeks ago. I entered the accelerated courses, which include adults around my age. The hardest road block is the studying and research while you have your family that also depends on you. For anyone out there, it can be done, and I will succeed. Thanks for listening. :rolleyes:

#1367 - 11/29/2001 16:45 PM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student
eternal_rising Offline

Loc: san diego
To all the adult learners out there:

I'm 27 and I still need a few more classes to get my B.A. I also want to continue on with schooling, as I would like to teach, particularly at the University level, however farfetched that may sound. I just wanted to let you guys know that you all sound so great, so positive and motivated and it is really inspiring to see so much determination despite the obstacles of daily living, family, problems, etc.

Just a note that you make me smile and I wish you all the best of luck in your (accelerated or otherwise) educational endeavors. Makes me see motivation in a whole new light: positive and dedicated. Goal oriented. I'm like that too, and I thank you for reminding me that it's ok to be this way!!!

Seasons greetings and warmest regards to all you adult learners back in school! Right on!!!!

(smile)

Deepest regards and warmest wishes...

sylvia morelos
workaholica@hotmail.com :p

#1368 - 11/30/2001 16:13 PM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your words of encouragement! May I add, "Ride On"?

:)

#1369 - 05/09/2004 17:37 PM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student
CoachTurner Offline

Loc: Myrtle Beach SC
My book bag has wheels.

I don't understand how the Vietnam War, Watergate, the Cold War, and Bay of Pigs are "history".

Even the tunes on the oldies station are new ones.

I graduated from high school before most of my classmates (and a few professors) were born.

#1955 - 10/16/2010 18:10 PM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student [Re: eternal_rising]
mhay Offline

Loc: Mi.
You make me smile also. Being an instructor at a university is not farfetched, it is within reach if you want it badly enough. It is students like you, who made my going back to school enjoyable. I met so many nice, young people and enjoyed seeing, and chatting with them daily. It was interesting that they felt comfortable to let me in on their lives, a little. Several of the younger students, and I had lunch together, and also did homework, compared assignments, and strived for good grades together.

Edited by mhay (10/16/2010 18:12 PM)

#2051 - 01/10/2011 17:56 PM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student [Re: CoachTurner]
Eri Offline

Loc: N.Y.
Originally Posted By: CoachTurner
My book bag has wheels.

I don't understand how the Vietnam War, Watergate, the Cold War, and Bay of Pigs are "history".

Even the tunes on the oldies station are new ones.

I graduated from high school before most of my classmates (and a few professors) were born.

LOL, that's great! :)

#2154 - 07/15/2011 04:01 AM Re: How to Spot an Adult Student [Re: Admin]
Bessie Garrett Offline

Hi Guys,
You're the first one to arrive in class, and the last one to leave.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.