Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1372 - 06/09/2006 19:42 PM how to pay for college?
lavenderdiva Offline

I am 47 and wish to return to college. I already hold 2 B.S. degrees, and I've been told that this eliminates any federal grants for me. I have been trying to find a job that would help with tuition, but no luck so far. My husband doesn't make enough yet to afford my going back to school. We are unsure about taking on the HUGE sum that the school is saying we will owe, were we to take out student loans (approx. 75K after 3 years) Right now, that just seems like an insurmountable obstacle, and a giant debt load.

However, my desire to return to school and get the degree I've dreamed of for many years, is very deep. I just can't figure out how to pay for it. Each year of school would be about 25K. We barely make that in a year!

Has anyone had experience, or have any insights that would help me realize my dream? It could be many, many years before we would be able to comfortably afford this tuition, and by then, I would be too old to even get hired!

#1373 - 06/24/2006 16:27 PM Re: how to pay for college?
Missie Offline

I have been frustrated with online scholarship searches because our household income restricts us from so many. But you should check out the <a href="http://www.back2college.com/library/scholarships.htm">free scholarship searches </a> and and register. It's free and you might find something. Good luck!

#1374 - 09/03/2006 11:11 AM Re: how to pay for college?
Marcelonyc Offline

Loc: New York
Missie, How many classes do you take each semester to keep this great GPA even with all the family obligations?

#1553 - 06/08/2009 04:33 AM Re: how to pay for college? [Re: lavenderdiva]
msgoldrush Offline

In life there are so called FRUSTRATIONS, however you need to overcome them... I think there is no use of dreaming something if you're really not meant to do it right? Be optimist about it... I say you better try it than not... But honestly, it's really a mess when it comes to financial... However, it's all or nothing ok... and please beware of the word MEDIOCRITY---- it's the biggest hindrance of becoming SOMEBODY!!!

#1626 - 08/24/2009 05:17 AM Re: how to pay for college? [Re: lavenderdiva]
jingle33 Offline

Loc: United Arab Emirates
goodluck to you.

#1667 - 10/12/2009 19:28 PM Re: how to pay for college? [Re: lavenderdiva]
garytoh Offline

Certain volunteer organizations offer student loan forgiveness in exchange for a certain amount of your time. If you volunteer for AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) you can have up to 70% of your student loans forgiven. Visit their websites to find out more information about student loan forgiveness programs.

#1797 - 04/13/2010 10:47 AM Re: how to pay for college? [Re: lavenderdiva]
Hubert Offline

Loc: N.Y.
OK ...Its been awhile since I posted here. I have been waiting for info on Selective Services issues. I am now 47 and have served in the Navy back in the early 80's. Selective Services says I'm not registered. But I served from 12/80 - 3/8[/b]3.
My question is: HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN IN MY SITUATION WHERE YOU SERVED BUT DIDN'T FILL OUT SELECTIVE SERVICES FORM BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T KNOW BACK THEN?

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.