Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1375 - 06/24/2006 16:31 PM Any scholarships for 39 year old freshman?????
Missie Offline

Here are my stats:
married
white
3 children
household income $49k
no disabilities
not left handed
average height and weight
currently attending community college on student loans
4.0 GPA

I think that's about it.
Does anyone on here know of ANYTHING?

#1376 - 06/26/2006 13:57 PM Re: Any scholarships for 39 year old freshman?????
bym Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
My stats:
39 years old
African-American
Married
No children
Well off income (but can't afford college)
still paying a Student Loan (so that's out of the question)
Studying Fashion Design
Acquiring an Associates Degree

I am looking for scholarships or free money. I've been looking for 6 months now and no luck. Any suggestions out there. Thanks

#1377 - 07/10/2006 20:21 PM Re: Any scholarships for 39 year old freshman?????
mc Offline

Loc: texas
Hi,

I'm 47 and just returned to college to get my BS degree about a year ago.

I have a couple of tips that have helped me.

1. If you're working, does your employer has a tuition reimbursement program. It's worth asking even if you don't know of anything your employer might have available.
2. To snoop out scholarships, check out the <a href="http://www.back2college.com/library/scholarships.htm">free scholarship search</a> section. They have a variety of different scholarships there. Some of them require essays. But it's worth a try.
Explore the scholarships your institution has available.
3. Tax credits. In the first two years you can claim the Hope Credit/Scholarship. That's up to $ 1500. After that you can use the Life Time Learning Credit (no limitation in the number of years) and that's about up to $2000.

I got tuition reimbursement from my employer. What was not covered by tuition reimbursement, I applied to the Lifetime Learning Credit.I received $400 back on my tax return. Using Turbo Tax made it real easy. If your income is pretty high, there is another tax option for educational credits (have to research that though, don't remember at the moment).

#1378 - 08/11/2006 17:46 PM Re: Any scholarships for 39 year old freshman?????
pugman Offline

If money is tight, you may want to consider taking 40 FEMA credits:

http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp

...and then transferring them to TESC.EDU via their credit bank ($380). Comes to $10/credit which is hard to beat.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.