Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1379 - 07/12/2006 10:31 AM Victim of Financial Indebtedness
Philippians1:6 Offline

Loc: Camden County, NJ
I'm a 27 year old career supermom right now. I've been volunteering my time with my aunt who is an education lawyer and I'm very moved by what she does. I would love to help in a greater capacity... but alas, I am a victim of financial indebtedness.

I went to college when I was about 17 and though my intentions were right when I started... I very quickly became distracted by the appeal of the slacker/party life [after having been in honors classes in HS]. Long story short, I found out I was becoming a mom in 97 and left school - leaving behind a whopping $7k balance owed plus student loans after only 3 very poor semesters.

I want to return to college now that I am older and wiser to pursue my BS and go to Law School to specialize in Education, but cannot for the simple reason that my transcripts are being witheld by my school.

There is simply no way at all that I can come up with $7k to pay the school with other debt, 2 kids and a husband and they're not interested in working out a payment plan. Meanwhile, I'm getting older by the second and more and more discouraged. I'm starting to think that this may never happen.

Is anyone in a similar situation and has anyone found anyone anywhere who can help pay off this financial albatross so I can achieve my dream?

#1380 - 07/12/2006 18:43 PM Re: Victim of Financial Indebtedness
Admin Offline

Loc: California
That is very unusual for the school not to accept a reasonable payment plan if a student is unable to pay the balance in full. Payment amount is generally determined based on the balance owed and the student's financial circumstances. Have you also defaulted on your student loans? If so, that should be additionally addressed to re-establish your good standing with the school.

#1381 - 07/13/2006 02:53 AM Re: Victim of Financial Indebtedness
Philippians1:6 Offline

Loc: Camden County, NJ
I have never defaulted on my student loans. I made payments on them for a while, but I'm currently in forbearance on all of them. I don't know whether or not they'll accept any meager payment plan that I could offer, but my issue is the fact that any payment plan that I could offer would not be binding enough to release my transcript.

It just doesn't seem ethically correct. The debt isn't going anywhere. My credit report will follow me around for the rest of my life. But the only way I could get a job that would make enough money to alleviate my debt before my children go to college would be if I returned to school... which I can't do because they won't release my transcript.

It's in essence debtor's prison. Because I don't have enough money to pay off this debt, I cannot continue my education. It wouldn't be so bad if other colleges didn't require that transcript - but they do. It's just a very frustrating problem. I have so many dreams and aspirations, but my debt/expense ratio is so very high at present that I can't even free up enough funds to make a dent in the college balance - which I think, by the way came from the laptop they provided which irreparably crashed before I even left school.

#1382 - 07/13/2006 10:27 AM Re: Victim of Financial Indebtedness
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Most colleges have similar policies. The best thing you can do is to honestly discuss your situation with them so they can work with you. If you cannot provide a reasonable monthly payment at this time, they may be able to refer you to assistance or offer suggestions to help you work toward your goal.

You might ask for a meeting with the director. Fully explain your circumstances, that you don't have the funds to continue college and don't have credit for a private loan. He/she may have compassion for your situation and provide assistance.

#1635 - 09/01/2009 20:33 PM Re: Victim of Financial Indebtedness [Re: Admin]
phdstudent2013 Offline

I understand where you are coming from. I am currently enrolled in a doctoral program and after this quarter all of my federal loans will be exhausted. I am in the process of trying to find scholarships/grants to continue. Currently unemployed and wanting to further my studies. Any advice or sugestions would be much appreciated.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.