Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1385 - 09/18/2006 08:01 AM Starting college at 39 - full time or part time, etc?
Blazer67 Offline

I have noticed similar questions on the forum, so I apologize in advance for repetition.

I am 39 years old and beginning college for the first time, in hopes of completing a BA. I am married with three small children and am considering going to school full time to complete my degree in quicker order. I will be starting at the community college level to keep expenses down. I have multiple questions:

1) Has anyone been through similar circumstances? If so, how did you do it, how did your financial situation work out?

2) I am looking at Tuition Answer loan for 40k through SallieMae to help offset personal expenses while I attend college (assuming I will be working PART TIME, since full time will not be feasible). How have your loans worked out (if you have completed your degree) and has anyone used a similar type of loan?

3) Have you seen a strain on the household by spending so much time studying and attending classes? While it will offer “flexibility” to take part in some things I normally cannot, what are the negatives?

I have already compiled a somewhat extensive list of pros and cons, but am seeking further input from those who have attempted and succeeded in this venture or who may be working through these challenges currently.

Thanks in advance for the input and recommendations. Any other advice is also welcome.

#1386 - 09/28/2006 17:00 PM Re: Starting college at 39 - full time or part time, etc?
tt82 Offline

Hi,

I am a 41 yr old student who returned to school full-time last year. This was the best decision I have ever made.

Fortunately for me, my former employer paid my tuition for the first year. I am now eligible for financial aid. You will have to adjust your spending habits. But you will find that you will not spend as much money as you did when you worked full-time. My situation is different because I do not have any children. You will have to spend a lot of time studying and the first semester I suggest taking some easy classes so that you can get the hang of things.

You made the right choice. GOOD LUCK!!!

Moderator:  Admin 

© Copyright © 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.