Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1387 - 10/24/2001 06:58 AM Student Loan Trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I was 18 I got a student loan, but did not understand what was going on being so young. I have forgotten about it until I tried to get assistance for school. Now that my loan is in default I am unable to get financial help. I have tried all things. I am not able to pay a lot for school being a housewife and mother. Is there some kind of way for me to get the loan defered until I finish school?

#1388 - 10/25/2001 09:48 AM Re: Student Loan Trouble
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi Angelique:

Unfortunately if you default on a federal student loan, you are not eligible for additonal aid until you once again show good faith or qualify for deferment. Please reference the Department of Education's guide to defaulted student loans: http://www.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DCS/

It lists all your options and frequently asked questions about repayment.

Good luck to you!

#1389 - 12/14/2001 19:38 PM Re: Student Loan Trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

Angelique:

Don't forget to ask the Department of Education about rehabilitating your loan.

#1390 - 08/18/2003 21:14 PM Re: Student Loan Trouble
Lirpa2002 Offline

Loc: FL
Angelique, I promise that I am not picking on you but do have some questions. Are you saying that because you were young, that you did not know that you were obligated to pay back these loans? Didn't they keep sending you bills and reminders after you left college stating that you owed this money and what default meant should you not start making payments?

Excuse me for saying so, but I keep seeing these messages all over this board asking similar things. When I finished college in 1987 and got my B.S. Degree, I was young too but very aware that I MUST pay back these loans beginning 6 months after graduation - no ifs, ands or buts. I never even considered defaulting on a loan that I had asked money for.

So I am just wondering why so many tend to think that if they do not pay off old loans that they might be able to apply through these same channels and all will be okay so that they will be given another loan that most probably will not be repaid? Sorry for this post if it sounds negative, but this sounds like a question of a persons ethics. I can understand if someone finds at a later date that they are homeless and cannot pay the bills, etc., but for some of these same people who have defaulted on these loans to try to get money from the people who they have burned seems irrational. Makes you wonder why they will flat turn you down if you have not repaid other loan... confused

#1391 - 08/26/2003 20:12 PM Re: Student Loan Trouble
ladybird075 Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Angelique:

I was in the exact situation that you are in about a year ago. The best thing you can do is to talk to who ever has your loan account right now, most likely some collection agency, and try to work out some sort of payment plan. Most places will work with you if they see you are willing to make an effort. It'll take several months and several large payments for you to pay it out of default - after that the US Dept of Ed. will probably take the account back from the collection agency and convert it to "active" or "normal" status. You should then be able to start applying for some financial aid. Good luck!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.