Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1396 - 05/30/2006 11:29 AM Have a BA pursuing an AA
Raminta Offline

I'm 28 years aold and currently have a BA in English. I have since enrolled at a community college to pursue a degree in welding AND residential construction.
My issue is this...
*I have $31k in outstanding loans from my BA (I've paid back around $20k since I graduated

*The school's financial aid director is telling me that I am not elligible for Federal or State aid because of my BA and because of my outstanding debt

*He is also telling me that I will probably be unelligible for private loans because of the above reasons.

*There are no grants available, at least that the school is aware of, because the tuition at the school is rather low.

If it was just a matter of paying tuition, I don't think I'd have much of an issue. HOWEVER, my main concern is living expenses. Even with a part time job (or several for that matter), I would not be able to afford to live and go to school.

Are there resources for people like myself? Are there educational loans that I can look into for people in my situation?

If anyone has any ideas, it would be very much appreciated!

#1397 - 05/31/2006 05:58 AM Re: Have a BA pursuing an AA
Mbooker Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Why would you not be able to have a full time job and go to school?

Marji

#1398 - 05/31/2006 06:00 AM Re: Have a BA pursuing an AA
Raminta Offline

Because a couple of the required courses are only offered during the day. I would be in classes from 12noon to 5pm Mon. - Thurs. There aren't very many jobs in my area to begin with and those time contraints put on huge limitations on types of employment.

#1399 - 05/31/2006 08:23 AM Re: Have a BA pursuing an AA
Mbooker Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Have you talked to the school about working there?
I asked because as a single Mom of three I had the same problem where these classes I needed were taught in the morning so I had to get a job(fulltime) in retail(I hated it but it paid the bills)that allowed my hours to be evenings. What about a Home Depot or Lowes since you are interested in Welding and such. I understand they are usually very good at working with students.

I understand your plight as I owe 32,000 for attending a private college. It was worth every penny but it has hurt me in financing other things.

I sure hope you can find something as it is the pits working doing something you don't want to do.

Marji

#1400 - 05/31/2006 08:27 AM Re: Have a BA pursuing an AA
Raminta Offline

I understand your plight as I owe 32,000 for attending a private college. It was worth every penny but it has hurt me in financing other things.

yup that's exactly what i did! provate college. Great education, but it hasn't been fun paying it off.

When I spoke to the financial aid director he asked if I was going to be working. I am going to be working at least 2 part time jobs, but unfortunately I know it's just not going to be enough. I have until Sept. to figure this all out, so right now I'm really just trying to find all of the options that may be available to me.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.