Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1401 - 02/25/2006 17:16 PM back to college, need advice about paying
changingcareers Offline

Loc: OK
I have a situation on my hands that I just can't figure out how to manage and I could use some help.

After working about four years at a desk job, I need a change. I am highly interested in the medical field and I would like to go back to school for something involving lab technology or imaging technoloy. I have a bachelor's degree in communications already, so going back to college would not involve a full four year program, however, most of the programs I've mentioned are scheduled during the daytime and my job is currently full-time during the day. Programs for lab or radiography technicians are held during the day often involving work in a hospital or lab setting. My main problem is that I am single, making mortgage payments on a small home I own, and have no large amounts of money saved. I don't see how I could leave my current job to attend one of these programs, unless I took out large loans, which I'm not really sure about doing.

If anyone could offer any help or advice I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe there are some options I am not seeing and I need a second opinion. Thanks a lot.

#1402 - 03/05/2006 16:19 PM Re: back to college, need advice about paying
tcnixon Offline

Loc: California, USA
Have you checked out local community colleges? Most offer those programs and may be somewhat better schedules. I think you are probably right, though, that it will be difficult to find programs that meet your needs *unless* you check some of your parameters.

Here are some thoughts:

1. Would you need to leave your job for the entire program time or only toward the end?

2. Have you checked out alternative programs at adult schools or adult education centers?

3. Have you actually gone and talked with them? While not ideal, you might be able to fund it through student loans (that could include enough to cover mortgage, if small enough, and living expenses).

Tom Nixon
--
Editor, CollegeOfTheWeek.com

#1403 - 05/06/2006 04:15 AM Re: back to college, need advice about paying
shdixon Offline

Loc: NYC
Hello,

I am in the EXACT situation. Were you ever able to figure it out, if so your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shirell

#1404 - 05/07/2006 16:11 PM Re: back to college, need advice about paying
Crysania Offline

Loc: NY
It may seem controversial, but I advise taking out a student loan as big as you need it. You CAN get one; and it allows you to change your life (more so than a new car or major vacation). No payments needed till you graduate. One more monthly responsibility but maybe the first one that will COUNT for something as long as you live.

#1405 - 05/07/2006 16:16 PM Re: back to college, need advice about paying
tcnixon Offline

Loc: California, USA
I agree with Crysania. While I most definitely am the last person to recommend student loans, changing your life is important.

Education is one of the few things in life you will never regret getting. It is worth the cost.

Tom Nixon
--
Editor, CollegeOfTheWeek.com

#1406 - 05/18/2006 09:45 AM Re: back to college, need advice about paying
Mbooker Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
If you do not believe taking a loan out for investing in your education then Why would you think that anybody else would.

I believe that the best invester of ones education is ones self. Only you know whether you are worth that investment. As for me 38,000 in debt (with monthly payments) so I speak from my experience.

My daughter also went to college(BS in Teaching) and is paying for it herself. She would tell you the same thing.

Hope things work for you.

Marji

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.