Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1414 - 02/24/2002 10:43 AM Will I Be Refused Financial Aid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to go back to school, but I have no money. I'm afraid that if I apply for financial aid, I'll be refused because my husband made a good salary last year. But, he was laid off in October and we've spent all our savings to live and he hasn't found another job! Is there a way to let the financial aid deciders know this?

#1415 - 02/24/2002 12:30 PM Re: Will I Be Refused Financial Aid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know too much about this but I do know that you can let them know. It's considered special circumstances. Why don't you go to www.fafsa.ed.gov. There you can speak to a representative and they can answer your questions.

#1416 - 02/25/2002 11:43 AM Re: Will I Be Refused Financial Aid?
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi,

According to the Department of Education , the financial aid administrator can adjust your EFC or cost of attendance if your financial circumstances changed. You will need to provide documentation.

#1417 - 02/28/2002 09:31 AM Re: Will I Be Refused Financial Aid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that dealing financial aid is very complicating. I go to a community college and I have a financial aid scholarship. Most financial aid offices are willing to help out. There should be no problem with applying for it. Just tell them you situation and that should help out greatly. eek

#1418 - 03/01/2002 15:10 PM Re: Will I Be Refused Financial Aid?
toes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I did quite a bit of research into the schools that I would be applying to including housing and financial aid. When I called and asked, the ALL said they are always willing to take individual circumstances into consideration when it comes to financial aid. My husband and I both work full time now and have a fairly comfortable lifestyle (middle class), when I let the financial aid office know that we would be going from a dual income household to both attending school full time they were very sympathetic to that and asked me to submit an essay explaining my individual circumstances. My advice, call the financial aid offices of the schools you are considering applying to...they are a lot more understanding then you would think.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.