Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1424 - 12/17/2008 15:01 PM Psychology Degree at age 35 yo- need advice
lilka Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hi all,
I have a classical dillemma which is going back to college or not and I know the answear is of course GO!
But what does really make me sleepless is a major I choose, Psychology Major!
So, do you think that is worth at age 35 starting Psychology major just from scratch?

Here is my little story:
In Spring 2009 is my last semester at community college and I will be reciving AAS in Travel Tourism Management. I choose this programm from few reasons- pick up my english skills (I am foreign), getting idea about American Education and earning degree. Because this course was very easy so I smoothly past everything with a very good GPA.
As the time passes I've got married, have 18 month cute baby boy, husband, and my dream about having Psychology degree.
Now, the dark side of me-
As I always remeber I have never been a good student because learning came difficult to me, I often got frustrated and don't really studied well. However, I was always dreaming to earn at least bachelor degree just to feel better. Once (in my native country and another time in US) had to take psychology course and I like it! But never consider to study it because I knew I will not handle it! It's too difficult for me.
Again as time pass, I discovered that my husband has Bipolar Disorder (we were going thrue very very hard time for the last 6 month, now everything is ok) and again I started thinking about Psychology degree, doing reserch, etc. so, I know that BS is not enough but at least good start for MS...

If there is anyone who has more idea about Psychology degree please give me advice? Is it for me? Am I going to handle it?
Am I too old for it?

really aprreciate for reading my story.

#1426 - 12/17/2008 15:49 PM Re: Psychology Degree at age 35 yo- need advice [Re: lilka]
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Well, this is relatively simple to answer. To find out more about Psychology or any major and its related occupations, consult the Occupational Outlook Handbook:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos056.htm

It includes education and training needed, as well as job outlook and other projections.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.