Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#145 - 02/26/2002 07:02 AM Getting back into college....need help....
ACS Offline

Loc: Georgia
First of all, I tried to attend 2 different community college's out of high school, and received incomplete's for all classes I signed up for, which was a total of probably 10 over 2 years. Yes, I was VERY stupid about it. Come from a 'well off' family, and never worried about it. For the last 2.5 years I have worked at our family's private investing partnership, and done VERY well and now that I have a direction I would like ot go off to college again. I live in Georgia but would like to venture out for school. What are my chances of getting into a larger university out of state? Money is not a factor, in fact I would pay anything to get into a Colorado, Colorado State, Wyoming, etc. Would I stand a chance at getting in one of these college's? Thanks for any and all help.

#146 - 02/26/2002 09:16 AM Re: Getting back into college....need help....
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi:

This question has been addressed in the FAQ and elsewhere in the forums.

You will often be given the opportunity for a new start. Good luck to you.

#147 - 03/27/2002 08:04 AM Re: Getting back into college....need help....
Susan Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
ACS,
Let me just offer a note of encouragement here. I, too, am carrying 10 incompletes on my transcript that have gone to F. I've spoken with my University about this, and discovered that I can turn at least four of them around, perhaps more, so don't despair! You're not alone in this.

#148 - 03/27/2002 11:11 AM Re: Getting back into college....need help....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, universities try to give students every opportunity to improve their academic record. More on this topic can be found here .

#149 - 04/08/2002 11:36 AM Re: Getting back into college....need help....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Everyone! I am a 34 year old female trying to get back into college! I have been reading that most community colleges will give you a new start, but how do you find them? I've just heard from the 2nd community college I've applied to, and they too did not accept me. I have several incompletes, but my GPA is still not all that bad.(2.87) Can anyone tell me what to do?

#150 - 04/09/2002 11:02 AM Re: Getting back into college....need help....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not having enough information about your situation, I would consult admissions of the college(s) you are interested in or the last school attended on how to correct the situation. You may need to finish some coursework or talk to the dean of students for academic re-instatement into good standing.

Best wishes,
Andrea

#151 - 04/19/2002 15:59 PM Re: Getting back into college....need help....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I come from another country, I completed my college academic education but never obtained my degree. I got a job here in America as an electrical engineer, and when I applied for a work visa, my credentials got to be evaluated for immigration purposes. They used what you call my "transcripts" from High School and college as a reference and they determined that based on my educational background and employment experience, I have the equivalent of an individual with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering with a major in electronics and a minor in computing engineering from an accredited college or university in the United States.

I am 41 years old and I wonder if I can go back to college for a master's degree in Electrical engineering.

Does anybody know what the path to take would be ?

Rafael

#152 - 04/23/2002 10:07 AM Re: Getting back into college....need help....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rafael,

In the U.S. you must have a regionally accredited bachelor's degree to seek admission to any graduate school of study. I'm not sure what organization evaluated your international transcripts, but you will need proof of completion of the equivalent of a US degree. World Education Services (WES -800-937-3895) provides "official" evaluations of international transcripts. If you still need to complete a bachelor's degree, or for research for graduate study you might try National Technology University (NTU), University of Idaho - Engineering Outreach, New York Institute of Technology (NYIT). They provide distance learning, and more innovative engineering programs for adults. Otherwise, check with your local state university for programs of study. You will need proof that you have taken all requirements for high-level math and engineering courses to enter graduate study, and will need to take a GRE entrance exam.

Faith Ivery, PhD
Educational Advisory Services

#153 - 04/25/2002 17:19 PM Re: Getting back into college....need help....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Faith,

Thank you very much for your answer.

My credentials were evaluated by the Foundation of International Services, Inc.

They determined that my education is equivalent to four years of university-level credit in electrical engineering with electronics from an accredited college or university in the United States. The document used certifies that I completed the studies corresponding to the program mentioned above and lists the subjects completed, including the grades of each.

I am checking what my options are and I appreciate your answer very much.

Thanks again

Rafael.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.