Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1464 - 02/05/2009 18:51 PM construction worker going back to school
jeffro Offline

I graduated from high school in 1986 (I'm 41). I started doing construction when I was 16, had a family really young, and got a felony(can't be expunged in NY where it occurred, drug charge) when I was 20. There isn't very much I don't know about building houses. I have been doing residential construction-remodels, additions, basements, etc for over 25 years now, the past 12 years working for myself. I usually do my own drawings (for smaller scale jobs), and all other aspects of the residential construction business. These days my body hurts, and my heart isn't into this business like it used to be. The economy has also had a drastic affect on my business.
My kids are now grown, and I have the opportunity to go back to school. The problem is, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I am really interested in architecture, but I don't know if I want to spend the next 5-10 years of my life in school and internships. I am also not sure how my felony would look on a job application in this field. Am I going to be able to make the transition from being a high school graduate to a college student 20+ years later?
My ultimate goal is to work for myself. Hopefully I can find a career that allows me to use the skills I have learned throughout my construction career. I currently have an appointment with a guidance counselor, but I don't want to limit myself to one person's opinion. That's why I'm here. Hopefully someone out their has a couple ideas that they can throw at me. I am a fairly intelligent person, so the academics don't scare me, It's the whole "changing careers" thing. Thanks in advance for any response-Jeff
I ideally would like to find a career where I could work with nature and wildlife, but I can't seem to come up with any good ideas on that one! I live on Colorado now

#1465 - 02/05/2009 20:20 PM Re: construction worker going back to school [Re: jeffro]
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Jeff,
Did you check out the Career Planning section of this site? You can find a lot of information there to help you get some ideas of what you'd like to be when you "grow up". 41 is definitely not too old to go back to school!!! You will have plenty of company.

Here is some information regarding the field of Architecture from the Occupational Outlook Handbook 2008-2009:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos038.htm

Construction Management is another area you might want to check into, with your background and experience:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos005.htm

You can find the type of education/training you need, and the various opportunities for each. If there is a career center at your school, they may also have publications and assessment tools that may be helpful to you.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.