Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1483 - 03/16/2009 23:16 PM 34 Year old high school dropout
Shleets Offline

Hi everyone, you can call me C; I just want to announce that I am a 34 year old first time father of a 4 month old who is returning to school to become a Dentist. The choice came to me almost a year before I found out we were expecting so since then nothing else had been on my mind and as you can probably guess, my hands have been full ever since.

Now that I've done some reflecting over the last couple of months I've decided, along with the support of my wife, parents and my sister; all of whose opinions I hold in high regard, that going back to school is what I need to do.

I dropped out of grade 12 and have no post-secondary courses for which I have obtained any credit except for advanced math which I did in my mid twenties. Let's just say that self-discipline and peer pressure were my biggest and ONLY obstacles. Fortunately, comprehension and natural intelligence have been passed on to me through the genes but in my youth and young adulthood I did not take advantage of it. The other gene I was not so fortunate to receive was the lazy gene which cancels out the former so I had quite a challenge back then.

Today, after being a professional insurance broker for the last 5 years and being at the top of what I do, it's safe to say that the laziness gene must have disappeared some time at least in the last 10 years (I hadn't paid much attention since a busy and upward moving life has sort of taken the front seat.)

Anyhow I will cut to the chase and just say that I plan to utilize all of the motivational tools I have at my disposal which I believe is the key to achieving success. From what I've read so far this website can serve as a great resource for motivation. I hope to use it as I hope everyone else on here uses it as well and perhaps together we can all share our progress and reach our dreams. I don't hate to sound like a motivational speaker but there are no shortcuts to success right? See you all on the educational battlefield.
FOR VICTORY!!!!!

#1495 - 04/03/2009 01:47 AM Re: 34 Year old high school dropout [Re: Shleets]
hereinvegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Map your plan... and stick with it. I am so happy i went back, and now that the finish line is near, I am ready to keep going!
Go to community college and get that first associates degree. It will bring you up to par on current education, and propel you into a bachelors program. As someone who has done numerous 2 year and 4 year schools, it would be my advice.
In any event, best of luck, and stick with it and you will excel!
Dedication is most of the battle as we get older!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.