Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1492 - 03/29/2009 18:31 PM Business to Architecture
MarcFromMississi Offline

Greetings -
Like many of the threads on this forum, I am at a professional cross-roads.

My background has been accounting-based in the real estate industry. I have 'some' hands-on experience in construction and design but not enough to bring up.

My dreams have always been on the design / development side of the industry. I have an business undergrad from a small, private college with decent grades. I want to go back to school for a degree in architecture. Can I get an undergraduate degree in architecture or will I need to go through the process of applying for acceptance into a masters program?

#1494 - 04/03/2009 01:43 AM Re: Business to Architecture [Re: MarcFromMississi]
hereinvegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Get you college transcripts sent to your local college of choice, and speak with an advisor. Your pre-requisites should transfer, and you could possibly start a new undergrad as a soph, maybe even a junior.
Take the first step.... and go from there. If your anxious.. go take that intro or lower level architecture class now! It cannot hurt!
Best of luck!

#1573 - 07/07/2009 06:25 AM Re: Business to Architecture [Re: hereinvegas]
wilsonmoore Offline

You can go for associate degree in civil engineering, it may help you in getting your dream come true.In fact,with this you can get wide range of jobs in the field of construction designer, trainer and many more...

#1666 - 10/07/2009 11:12 AM Re: Business to Architecture [Re: MarcFromMississi]
philatonian Offline

Thanks for bringing this up! I'm in a similar dilemma. I always wanted to study architecture, in fact I started out in it, changed my major, graduated with psychology and now have a successful career in software product management and find myself really wanting to go back to school for architecture.

My grades aren't all that hot, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what would transfer. It's been so long since I applied to any schools I really don't even know where to begin. I'm assuming I would apply as a transfer student? Will SAT scores be relevant to the application process? Should I audit courses if they don't like my GPA? Can anyone audit courses? I'm sure sitting down with an adviser would help, but it's intimidating at 33 not knowing what to expect.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.