Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1514 - 04/22/2009 20:04 PM want to major in music performance - getting started
comet Offline

Hey there guys. Hope everyone is well. Upon conducting a Google search, I came across this extremely helpful and confidence-building website. I have a little story to tell about myself and I'm eager to get advice on what the best path for me is.

I'm 26 years old. I graduated highschool in 2000. I was a very dedicated band student and played tuba in the Marching Band and Symphonic band. I played in many honor bands and received a plethora of awards and even scholarship offers. I applied to a couple schools that interested me and got rejected due to low SAT and ACT scores. They all recommended that I go to Community College for a couple years, which I never did. I was offered a nice high paying computer job, and being 18 years old, money was very important. So alas, I took the job, and many more jobs thereafter, and here I am today. Extremely displeased with sitting at a desk all day design websites and getting yelled at every day by a very demanding boss.

My ultimate goal is to go back to school and get my music performance degree. I want to play with a concert band, orchestra, brass ensemble, or really anything. Playing is what is most important to me, and I got the most joy out of playing than I ever have with anything else in my life.

I'm married to a Piano teacher, and I am a full-time employee. There will obviously be some financial struggle with my decision with going back to school, but I'm looking for advice for the best route to take.

Should I be focusing on getting accepted in to a school with a decent music program? Or should I start off small and start taking some online courses to get my gen ed's finished?

Should I keep my job and take online courses in my free time? Once I have those courses finished, where do I go from there?

My main concerns are paying my bills on time. But at the same time I can't stand my current job, so I'm really eager to do something about this struggle as soon as possible. I don't think there's any sense in dealing with a job I can't stand and not doing something to improve my overall sanity. We all have one life to live and this is how I want to live it. I just need help getting started.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my rant. I really look forward to your responses. Take care.

#1563 - 06/17/2009 02:13 AM Re: want to major in music performance - getting started [Re: comet]
rogerpark Offline

I will suggest you to keep your job on going as you have lots of options these days to earn online degree from certain good universities like Ashford University, Colorado Technical University, Kaplan University, Strayer University.

but before enrolling in any one of these online universities, make sure whether its good or bad for you.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.