Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1523 - 05/10/2009 23:40 PM Advice for a 40 year old
JeffS Offline

Hello,
So I've decided to go to college at 40 for a BA. I started looking into colleges very excited until reality sunk in. I just recently lost my job due to the economy. I've always wanted to go to college but never had the guts. I am torn, I still want to go and just get as much financial aid as I can. I'm single with no kids and live with my partner in an apt. He can can afford the bills etc. Is it possible to get full financial aid? Add the financial worry to the going back to college at 40 and now I'm second guessing myself. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice?

#1564 - 06/17/2009 02:18 AM Re: Advice for a 40 year old [Re: JeffS]
rogerpark Offline

I have researched a lot about these but not very satisfactory results. I am very keen if anybody can share his/her experience with it.

#1578 - 07/12/2009 23:32 PM Re: Advice for a 40 year old [Re: JeffS]
shekinah73 Offline

there are lot of financial aid available out there.Start by filling out the free fafsa online and check on your state scholarships and grants program. Also, register to fastweb.com .They will send all those grants and scholarships to apply for.
Iam 36 years,still looking for job, ready to go full time to school in august and got $29,000 in government grants and scholarship to go back to school. And Iam still applying for more.

#1621 - 08/21/2009 23:55 PM Re: Advice for a 40 year old [Re: JeffS]
TammyK Offline

Yes you can get help! I will be starting school next week and between a pell grant and loans nothing will come out of pocket for now. As a matter of fact my account has an excess amount of 700. If I leave it there next 8 weeks I will be able to take an extra class. Depending on your state there is alot of help out there for laid off workers. Personally I am taking my classes online which will cost me half of the brick and motar route. But even at that, my loans will run aprox 9500 a yr. At 45 thats scary. But hopefuly worth the investment.

#1701 - 11/07/2009 22:22 PM Re: Advice for a 40 year old [Re: JeffS]
Debra Offline

Loc: Chicago
The Educational Opportunity Centers (EOC)are federally funded TRIO programs designed to help adults 19 and older (the average age of the students that I work with is about 45), who do not hava a four-year degree, get into the college or university of their choice. They assist with career exploration, college selection and the completion of admissions and financial aid applications. The services that they provide are FREE. There are only about 123 of these programs in the country, but there should be one in your state. They can help you.

No matter how much money you made last year, if you are currently unemployed, you should be eligible for financial aid. Without knowing the specifics of your situation, I can't say you'll get full financial aid, but it is possible. The EOC counselor can guide you.

At 40, you will be a great student. Your motivation for going to school is different than your 18 year old counterpart. You will be there because you want to there, not because it's the thing to do. Start slow to get your feet wet. As you get the hang of it, pick up a few more classes until you are full-time. Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.