Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1525 - 05/11/2009 08:28 AM Im going to college for the first time in september(i hope!)
Hayden_Robert Offline

Hi all, im 23 and i'm going to college for the first time this september.When i was younger(well up untill last year really) i was content just wasting my life and getting into trouble, wasn't bothered about work and when i did have a job they were go nowhere jobs anyway.

Ive made the decision a couple of months ago that i want to get back to college and learn something that will help me with my dream of working in the travel industry and ive also applied to do my 3 core GCSE subjects, im very nervous about going back though to be honest as after the troubles ive caused and been in when i was younger(and stupid) this will be a very different environment for me and i really want to succeed!!!1

ANY ADVICE lol????

#1547 - 06/02/2009 04:40 AM Re: Im going to college for the first time in september(i ho [Re: Hayden_Robert]
msgoldrush Offline

I think it's a good idea to continue your studies, keep it up... However, there are some rules... Better be choosy with friends, i warn you there would be many temptations, but if you really meant making it through the graduation you can make it... Just overcome your fears of going to college...

#1562 - 06/17/2009 02:07 AM Re: Im going to college for the first time in september(i ho [Re: msgoldrush]
rogerpark Offline

thats really great... Good luck for your future! and keep updating your thread so that users should be inspired from you :)

#1584 - 07/14/2009 08:33 AM Re: Im going to college for the first time in september(i ho [Re: rogerpark]
Hayden_Robert Offline

First of all thanks for your encouraging words and i am going to give you an indsight into my journey as we go along so here goes.....

As i said before college had never been on the agenda for me as i was in a lifestyle that consisted purey of trouble, i spent time in prison aged 20 for violence and was involved in trouble at football matches as well as in my personal life.

I pulled away from that slowly and during the summer made the decision to go to college and try to improve my life, however i don't mind admitting that i was VERY nervous.

I applied to Wolverhampton College as it was away from the area where i have been involved in trouble but close enough so that i wouldn't have to make any major changes to my living arrangments, having applied within a week i had a letter asking me to come in for an interview the following week, my nerves jumped up 500% lol.

I went to the interview and found that the tutors that i met were both welcoming and friendly nd was very pleased to see that i was not the only person there that day who was over 21!!!

After a succesful interview which was very relaxed i had to attend to do some basc exams to gain acceptance into the college, again i was nervous as the last exams i remember taking were when i was about 11 years old!!!!

However aain i was put at ease by both the staff and other students some older some younger than myself and i got through the exams and wasaccepted onto my courses of travel and tourism and ECDL web design.

I am now using the time i have before college to prpare myself for what i hope and am confident will be an enjoyable expirience.

The main reason i am keeping this updated is that for people like myself to see that it is possible and enjoyable to get into college and earn a better life for yourslef regardless of your age/sex or background.

Will keep you all updated on how it goes :)

#1687 - 10/30/2009 13:43 PM Re: Im going to college for the first time in september(i hope!) [Re: Hayden_Robert]
BackToSchool Offline

Right now is a great time to start college. You don't want to be in the labor market right now. It's brutal! Choose your major carefully, cross your fingers, and hope the economy recovers by the time you graduate!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.