Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1532 - 05/20/2009 12:01 PM 30 yrs old. Nevous About Going To College.
ldiaz1 Offline

Will be 30 real soon. Need to get a degree. Have 2 kids. Work Full Time. Not Sure where to even begin to look and totaly nevous. Have no encouragement support system so it sucks. But, really want a college degree from a real college.

#1534 - 05/22/2009 19:14 PM Re: 30 yrs old. Nevous About Going To College. [Re: ldiaz1]
StudentHelper Offline

When I was 27 (in 1997) I decided to go to school full-time. I had 2 kids and was on my own. I graduated with my B.S. when I was 30. I say do it. There are loads of resources available to provide you with information about the best programs for you and your family. Not having emotional support is unfortunate, but you'd be amazed at how supportive your kids can be. Mine were in 1st and 3rd grade when we made our move. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email. Anything that will make you feel complete is worth pursuing.

#1535 - 05/24/2009 05:03 AM Re: 30 yrs old. Nevous About Going To College. [Re: ldiaz1]
hereinvegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Well, if you are really serious, then go something like this...

Harness how you feel right now. Never forget your discontent with your current position in life, and use it as a motivation for you to dedicate yourself to every class, every paper you write and every test you take.

You have to start somewhere... a community college is best for you. Go there, get your application and financial aid papers filled out, and sign up! Jump in! It may take a little money to sign up, but there is a chance you will get it back from aid; and the quicker you start, the better you will feel! It is not too late to just take a summer class and get the ball rolling!

In the Fall, I would start with 2 classes... English 101 and a low level math (beginning/intermediate algebra). Then your second semester do English 102, another math (intermediate/college algebra), and take a 3rd in something that really interests you.
(The math may require a placement test... do not be discouraged by the results! It is necessary to move forward because you will need to pass college algebra and statistics for a degree! And, English classes will help you with your writing style and hone it for future college papers. Getting the citing and verbiage down is important for all of your classes.) These might not necessarily be what you want to learn, but trust me when I tell you that they are imperative to your success in the long run.
Dedicate yourself to truly learning the material, and the classes will actually get easier as time goes on.
Get a few good grades under you belt, and you will be off to the races.
Always remember that patience and dedication are the things that will get you through.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.