Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1537 - 05/26/2009 11:31 AM when to quit my job?
zdphotos Offline

All, I am going back to college at age 31, entering an architecture program which is very difficult academically.

As of right now, I earn a good salary in my current field, so I'm trying to figure out when to quit my job and how long to hang on.

As of right now, the only classes available to me are during the workday. My current employer has indicated they are not willing to work with me in regards to scheduling. I've requested 2 hours 1 day per week, which could easily be made up elsewhere.

I was sort of counting on them being more flexible but that isn't happening. As of right now, I'm just starting to come up with other options, wondering when I quit my day job to go back to school and what my options are for earning some sort of income.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#1542 - 05/29/2009 13:41 PM Re: when to quit my job? [Re: zdphotos]
hereinvegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
It is odd that your school does not offer at least one section of your desired classes at night.

The only real issue I have with people our age leaving work to pursue school is that debt usually starts to pile up at that point, and then your return on your investment with school starts to go down.
Starting at 50k a year in a job that you really want to do is great... but if you are carrying 40k in debt, that is about $500 a month over 10 to 15 years, and we both know what that type of loan payment would feel like on top of everything else. When you shrink that 50k/yr down to 40k due to loans payments, it hurts in the long run.

#1544 - 06/02/2009 02:56 AM Re: when to quit my job? [Re: zdphotos]
msgoldrush Offline

I think you should have known the class schedule first before, you enroll yourself into that school... Since you know your work schedule then you should have chose a school which offers a night class... But then, it's true that architecture is a hard one at that and you need to be serious with that or else it's useless... Certainly you need to look for a job at night...

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.