I have recently decided that I must return to school. Being twenty-seven years old and (deliberately) away from any academic institution for six years, this a big decision, to say the least. I have a B.A. in history. I would like to pursue a graduate degree in classical or medieval history and possibly archaeology. However, many graduate programs list language requirements as a requisite for even basic application. For instance, one school requires that I have expert (three years, at least) experience in both ancient Latin and Greek, as well as a command of both German and French. While I did study German for three years (and it ought to come back quick), and Latin for four semesters, I find myself in a quandary.

I must be in school to learn languages, yet to be in school I must know languages.

Of course, this wouldn't be as much of a problem if Latin and Greek weren't dead, and therefore not offered at least my local community college. My father suggested that I pursue a second B.A. in Classics, and this idea excites me, but I've read here that many schools in California won't accept second B.A. students, and it is prohibitively expensive. Is there any way around this? Will grad schools accept one conditionally? Is this even a good idea with an eye on my pocket book? Halp!