Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1531 - 05/19/2009 23:15 PM Financial Aid but divorce not final - questions
Patty W Offline

Well, here's a quick overview of my situation. I'm 41 and have been separated for 3 yrs. Divorce has been filed but is not complete. Should be finalized in the next 6 months. I work full-time and have my 3 kids with me full-time (father lives out of state). My income is such that I would qualify for a Pell grant (based on calculator). My question is, since I am still married will his income need to be taken into account? Not sure if this is necessary or not but I filed my income taxes as head of household and not married filing separately. I would like to attend part-time to begin with & see how that goes since I am working full-time. If all goes well I'd like to go full-time but don't know if I can handle it. Do you think it will be a problem getting assistance since my divocre isn't finalized yer? Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I am eager to return to schol ASAP and don't want to wait until divorce is final unless I absolutely have to.
Thanks for your help!
Patty

#1579 - 07/13/2009 00:09 AM Re: Financial Aid but divorce not final - questions [Re: Patty W]
shekinah73 Offline

maybe by this time, you already have an answer.
I just wanted to tell you that since you filed as head of household, they will consider only your income. Iam 36 years old , 2 kids , Iam divorced now but at the time I was applying for financial aid , I was separated and filled as head of household. They didn't ask my husband tax. And I was qualified for any grants the government could have.even my state grants too. So do not worry about your situation.There are lot of help out there for people like us. Be blessed.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.