Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1600 - 08/05/2009 01:48 AM How do you make it work?
veronica Offline

My husband is 32 and decided he wants to go to school. He's had no schooling outside of getting his GED from homeschooling. He assumes that everything will work out, but I'm very stressed trying to get it to work. We have a 2 year old and I'm expecting in December. How do you go from having everything (including all the bills) to dirt poor? How do you go backwards? And get rid of all the expenses so you can afford to go to school. I can't seem to figure out how.

#1614 - 08/18/2009 15:02 PM Re: How do you make it work? [Re: veronica]
CORVETTMB Offline

Veronica,

I do understand how scary it can seem when things are not going anyway like you planned it. I know, I've been there...from riches to rags and on my way back.

The most important part of the equation is "mindset". You mentioned that your husband "assumes that it will all work out"; he's on the right track. Even though you might not know how rigt now, assuming that everything will work out frees up your enery to consider solutions. You see fear keeps you stressed and unable to see beyond your circumstances.

To make it work focus on 'the big picture'(the big goal you want to achieve) and take baby steps toward it. But you say, Corvett, the bills are piling up.. hold on.. What do you have to work with right now?

Let's take the idea of your husband going to school..

1. Fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for student aid)
2. Register for Community College

Doing the above will give you the opportunity see how much aid you will qualify for and be able to assess whether or not you would need student loans.

I dont want to overwhelm you with too much information..but taking one step at a time and 'trusting' it will all work out is a place to start.
I hope this helps.
Peace & Blessings,
Corvett

Ps. I am a returning student myself and figuring it out too.
I did just what i suggest above and i am on my way..one day at a time..one step at a time.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.