Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1617 - 08/19/2009 19:18 PM 40 and finally going back to school!
jen152638 Offline

Hi! I am 40 ( well almost, but close enough to own it) and I am finally going back to school. With some encouragement and help financially, I no longer have excuses to keep me from it. Classes start on Monday. And because I am only going back part time for now, the road seems arduous and very long ahead of me. But I am excited about it.

Don't get me wrong, I am petrified. It's been 20 years since I have been in a classroom outside of supplemental career training and the idea of labs and groups and having to interact with students that could be my children is enough to keep me up at night. But I am sure I will live, I may have to overcome my insecurities quicker than I would like to, but I am sure it won't kill me

My one question to all, and this may sound silly but to me it's a serious concern. What are kids taking to classes these days? I have nightmare visions of technologically advanced youngsters taking notes on laptops or their hand held devices of choice, while I whip out my antiquated loose-leaf notebook and number 2 pencil because I have already spent my savings on the classes themselves and the horrifically expensive textbooks without the deep wallets of a parent to supplement my expenses. Are the professors going to expect that I come to class with some new fangled note taking device or NASA inspired calculator that I don't know about? I don't even know if three ring binders are even cool anymore!

Does anyone have any advice as to what to expect when I start my new adventure on Monday?

#1618 - 08/20/2009 14:01 PM Re: 40 and finally going back to school! [Re: jen152638]
CORVETTMB Offline

Hi,

I am 51 (will be 52 10/09) and started school March 2009. I started out with 2 classes (6 credits)....I wasn't sure how I would manage.. I also took 2 classes that I thought would be easy for me.

Summer semester I took 3 classes and got straight A's. School starts on Monday and I'm taking 4 classes (thats full-time).
Easing my way into it worked really well for me and I am sure it will for you too.

Your 3 subject note book and #2 pencil will fit quite well and if you are doing beginning math calculators are not allowed any way.

You'll fit in quite well and discover that your maturity is a plus. you'll be quite suprised how well it all works out in the end.

Congratulations to you for taking such an important step. By the way be sure to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) you might be surprised if you qualify for student aid...don't assume you won't.

Be sure to get your rest this weekend and pack some healthy snacks to keep your energy up in school (smile).
Peace & Blessings,
Corvett

#1647 - 09/09/2009 00:10 AM Re: 40 and finally going back to school! [Re: jen152638]
Maxhanee Offline

That's great. It's good for you to start your study again.

#1655 - 09/18/2009 02:20 AM Re: 40 and finally going back to school! [Re: Maxhanee]
horse Offline

Honestly the kids ain't taking laptops to class as much as it might seem. Most of the ones that do are playing solitaire or checking facebook. It's less efficient taking notes on a computer so stick to a notebook and a pen!

#1698 - 11/04/2009 14:13 PM Re: 40 and finally going back to school! [Re: jen152638]
Hubert Offline

Loc: N.Y.
Hello everyone. I am now at the very beginning stage of going to college. There is so much to read and search and i have no clue on where/how to start. I am a very organized person and would like to know how to keep track of all my searches and completions. How many schools to look into? Which is better:online or campus? Student Aid, scholarships, grants the works. Where do I start.

I have a CDL and skills in interior painting/plastering/tapering/wall paper removal/demolition and woodworking but jobs are very scarce if not non-existing.

I love computers and want to learn how to fix them, ie.viruses,mal-wares etc as well as build them. I do this as a hobby (removing viruses) for friends and family. I have the basics and people tell me I should get some letters behind my name...PHD...MA..BA...etc..
I need a path...Help please.

#1702 - 11/07/2009 22:42 PM Re: 40 and finally going back to school! [Re: Hubert]
Debra Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hi Hubert. There are programs that are funded by the federal government called The Educational Opportunity Center. These programs are designed to help adults who do not have a four-year degree enter the college or university of their choice. The counselors can help you decide on a career, pick the best school for you and assist you with completing the college application and financial aid form and scholarship searches. The services that they offer are FREE. You can visit this website: www.neoca.org, click on Resources (on the left side), then click on NEOCA Directory. Scroll to the State column and find a program that's close to you.

I wish you the best of luck!

#2171 - 08/03/2011 02:17 AM Re: 40 and finally going back to school! [Re: Debra]
gateaway Offline

Hi there
After living here for 23 years and working for all of it along with raising two boys, I have decided to go back to school.
I have been self employed for 17 years and am tired.
Yes if I go back, I will be doubly exausted, but am hoping it will be worth it in the end.

If I do go back, i will be close to 50 graduating.
Am I crazy trying to look for a new career at that age?
I was thinking of business admin, criminal justice or accounting.

Any words of wisdom or advice?
By the way the reason I didnt go to college was that at age 20 I emigrated from Ireland and took the time to set p my life here.

Thanks
Carla

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.