Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1050 - 11/07/2006 07:21 AM Quit Job to go back Full Time?
Dawn27 Offline

Loc: CT
Hello,
I'm 27 and have been offered to stay at my mom's house with no rent and finish my degree (2 yrs) full time. I am going to quit my job, which is a sales job with a company car and tuition reimbursment in order to just go for it, and not have too much stress while trying to get good grades. I was offered a univerisity job up to 20 hours a week, and think that will be all I need to get by. But I scared, and my job wants to keep me and is pressuring me to stay and go part time. I don't want to be 33 by the time I get out struggling the whole time between the two. Just wanted some advice.

#1051 - 11/27/2006 15:23 PM Re: Quit Job to go back Full Time?
dnhiem Offline

Loc: East Cost
I was in a similar situtation (~ same age though no tuition reinbursement) last year...small world. NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU, JUST GO FOR IT!

The following are things to CONSIDER though (not knowing all the details about your situtation):

1) See if you can work out PT hours (~20 hrs) with your employer, thus allowing you to stay in the "industry" and keep some of your pay/benefits. If you DON'T want to be in yourindustry or feel that you would be too stressed (too far a commute, etc.. then ignore 1) :)

2) Given today's economy, just DO IT! NO ONE can take that DEGREE from you once you've earned it thus giving you more FLEXIBILITY. I know it did for me! Don't forget to take advantage of the internships/co-ops if your schools offers them. Think LONG term career not "job".

3) Hopefully the major/program your enrolling will lead to a better industry/position?

4) Don't burn bridges if you do decide to leave. Offer to give them more than the standard two weeks before you go to back to school, they'll love it and remember you when you need a reference.

#1625 - 08/24/2009 05:14 AM Re: Quit Job to go back Full Time? [Re: Dawn27]
jingle33 Offline

Loc: United Arab Emirates
To get something you have to loose something.for study time is now. for job always.
still thinking????????
CONCENTRATE ON STUDIES

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.