Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1643 - 09/06/2009 20:53 PM Almost 24.Thinking of Going to School.Need Advice Long Story
TheAce18 Offline

Hi Everyone!

So here's my situation:

I graduated from High School in 2004. I never committed myself to high school fully, I did what I needed to graduate. I never took the ACT/SAT's. I went to a Community College for a semester after graduating, and I hated the classes. I applied for a Technical School for some Administrative Program to make my parents happy...I got through most of the classes, but it was just basic Microsoft Courses/Computer Courses. I landed a really nice job with Wells Fargo as a Personal Banker, which I did for 3 years until I was laid off in June. I've been unemployed for about 3 months, and I've found nothing that really sticks out at me.

Here's where my story gets fun. I was engaged to my fiancee and lived with her in an apartment from November 07 to June 08, and we bought a house in July of 08. We broke up in September of 08...thankfully I had two buddies that were looking for places to live. One just moved out, and the other is still living with me. I've realized that I'll need to get a job that pays well to support this house. The Wells job was great, but nothing like that is coming around. My dad and I have made so many improvements to the house already (New deck, landscaping, new garage door, new roof, new carpet, new appliances) so I can make a nice profit on the house if I decide to sell.

Here's what I want to do....

Sell the house...(I'm thinking I'll make about 15 to 30k off of the house)...and enroll with the University of Minnesota, Saint Cloud State University, University of Minnesota-Duluth or Metropolitan State University.

Metro State is the cheapest school, about $200 a credit for a Bachelors program. The U of M, SCSU and UMD are all about 15k, 9k, 11k a year, respectivly.

If I went to Metro State or the U of M, I know my parents would let me move back in with them, my parents would do anything to help me. If I went to Duluth or St Cloud, I would have to find a place to live. I have no idea what to do...

I really need someone's advice...my life has changed so much in the last year with buying a house, losing a fiancee, losing my job and losing a roommate....I just want a clean slate and I know if I focused on school, I could do it. I know I would have to take the ACT or SAT's...maybe? My GPA in high school was roughly 2.75.

Any Advice...I really need to hear from someone.

Edited by TheAce18 (09/06/2009 23:13 PM)

#1663 - 10/03/2009 02:58 AM Re: Almost 24.Thinking of Going to School.Need Advice Long Story [Re: TheAce18]
SmiLeY1985 Offline

I know exactly how you feel. I graduated in 2003. I didn't really commit myself in High School either. Senior year I found a great job which I am still working at. I am now 24 years old. At about 22, I decided to go to a Community College and get my Associate's. That took about 1 1/2 with taking classes in the summer. Now I am off to start on my Bachelors. The point I am trying to make is that not everyone goes to college right after H.S. Some of us need a break while others find a good job and they don't focus on the future and importance of education. I really don't think its ever too late to go to school. Education is something that noone will take away from you. Sure, it might be a little hard in the beginning, but once you take the placement tests and start taking classes everything will fall into place. By the time you realize it, you will have your Associate's or Bachelors degree. Good Luck!!

#1669 - 10/14/2009 10:27 AM Re: Almost 24.Thinking of Going to School.Need Advice Long Story [Re: SmiLeY1985]
confused223 Offline

confused okay kids here it is! I'm 45 yrs old & have never attended any college or even considered it. I was never growing up given the option or had enough sense to consider it. Back in the day all i could think about was getting out of the house. I went into the Army for 2 yrs, lived in Texas got out and moved to Florida. I was married and had a child by 20. Now re-married and my child is off married is an opportunity to do something and have yet to explore. Enough of all that but never enagaged in the idea of school because I always landed a job. After years of great experience, working at great places. The past 14mos have been sorta nuts. I worked at 2 different places, liked the work but not who I worked for, opted to leave both. Now here I sit for the past 2mos with no employment and have applied to everything under the sun within my range of employment history which is great & diverse. Now the problem with the economy is that there are thousands of us competing for the same job and always seems that hope is lost and all others are more qualified. I had hoped to get a job this week but as of last night it fell through. So up all night thinking maybe I should consider starting a whole new career but I am unsure of what and thinking am I to old to learn new tricks. I have always been one to wonder "hum what do i want to do when I go up??" I truly don't even know where to start, any suggestions out there??

#1700 - 11/07/2009 22:02 PM Re: Almost 24.Thinking of Going to School.Need Advice Long Story [Re: TheAce18]
Debra Offline

Loc: Chicago
My! You have been through some changes. But you really don't need advice from anybody. You've already come up with a game plan. Go with what you know. You said it. Move back in with your parents (and don't forget to contribute to the household)and go to school. May I suggest that before you select a school, you locate the Educational Opportunity Center, one of the federal TRIO programs in your state. They can help you pick the right school, complete the financial aid form and identify scholarships. You don't have to make your college going decisions alone. Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.